Sunday, August 31, 2008

Weekend Update

Well, I'm not sure who turned up to play netball yesterday but it certainly wasn't my team. I don't know where they were but it wasn't planet earth.

There were some issues with almost every girl in my team yesterday, and they just didn't "gel". Stephanie was having ex boyfriend and head cold issues. My main goalie wasn't well. One of my centre court players had to hold time and leave the court prematurely because she wasn't well. One of my defenders is the daughter of the man I blogged about earlier in the week, who recently lost his battle with cancer, so she was understandably off her game.

Basically it just didn't work.

So. Luckily we were second on the ladder which means we get another chance next week. And next week I am a player down so that means I can go back to rotating 10, which I have done all year long and have got it down to a fine art.

As for giving everyone a go... I'm still on the fence. I did play all 11 girls and I can't be sure if it was a further detrimental effect on the game because changing players around that much is very unsettling. I feel torn because I want to give everyone a go, but I don't want to do that to the detriment of the team. I have a duty to treat everyone fairly and that could also mean giving the other girls a chance at a premiership. It is afterall the reason we play the whole season. This isn't social netball, it's competitive, and a position in the team needs to be earned. We encourage and welcome anyone who wants to come and play with us, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the good of the club and for the good of the team. There is more than one person who needs to be considered.

So, it didn't answer any questions for me should we make the grand final. Next week I will play my 10 girls just like I always do, and if we make the grand final I will worry about it then. In essence I am avoiding it!

6 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

NO!!!! Your not avoiding anything... you're very wisely biding time. You are in a position, where, as you say, you have to consider the club and team as a whole, and I'm sure there are many decisions you have to make that can't be made too soon. Plus, as a working mother of two, putting off "worrying about it" is necessary, with everything else you would no doubt have to do... Go gently on your beautiful self... and stop by and 'smell' my roses...

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for the encouragement Naomi.

I feel under a bit of pressure with the whole thing. I have those who are telling me to play my strongest team and those who want me to play everyone. It's all just a bit much for my tired old brain at the moment.

Edie said...

I agree with Naomi. Not avoidance but thoughtful consideration for everyone concerned. Hmmmm isn't that a Christ-like character? :) (I just came from Chatty Kelly's)

I stopped by to tag you. Come see. :)

Edie said...

Hi again Sharon. You know I think I'm just a few steps behind you today. I just came from ADHD's blog and saw your comment. This was of course after I left my other comment on this post.

Just want to be sure you're not "really" feeling pressure to do this week's RQ. It really is just for fun and reflection. :)

Two things I have to tell you.
1. I LOVE your blog design! Everytime I come here it takes my breath away.
2. Everytime I see your profile pic in someone's comments, my first thought is that it is a rabbit. I had to click on it finally to get a good look. I'm so sorry, obviously I need to correct my lens Rx. LOL

Kelly said...

Sharon - hey girl. You mentioned you are a worship leader. What could be more Christ like. And you seem to be a prayer warrior, always praying for your daughter. Who else to we know who prayed alot? (Jesus!)

Good luck on the game next week! Hopefully everyone will be feeling better and ready for a fun day.

HisPrincess said...

Edie: No I'm not feeling pressured really! I just couldn't think of anything because I still struggle to come to terms with the idea that the Lord could use someone so imperfect as me.

As for you comment on my profice pic...A RABBIT??!! That is Boris, my Russian Blue, my pride and joy, my third child ... ok, I'll think I'll stop now, I'm starting to sound like one of those crazy old cat ladies! Steph thought it was hilarious that you thought he was a rabbit, she said he looks more like an overgrown rat. She of course is struck off my Christmas list!

Kelly: I'd never thought of worship leading as making me Christ like. It's just something I do that gives me great joy. And I like getting to choose the songs ;) But seriously, I seldom feel closer to the Lord than when I am worship leading. It can be a very powerful experience.