Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mud

Ok, getting away from teeth for a while.

But just in case you are wondering the temporary filling seems to have helped, it only hurts when I eat which you would think would be doing wonders for my diet....but no.

Below is a picture of a road, a wet, muddy, slippery road. It is very similar to the road that I drive on to go to work each day. It's not the actual road I drive on because that would have meant that I had to get out of the car and take a photo, and that could have ruined my shoes, and that is just not something I was prepared to do! Not even for my bloggy friends! There are just some lines that you do not cross!

Our roads have a pretty high proportion of clay in them, which means that when they get wet like this you have to drive veeerrry slowly and veeerrry carefully. Of course you only have to drive slowly and carefully if you wish to stay on the road, and that is purely up to you! Although I can tell you from experience if you run off the road, hit a fence, scratch your car and get a flat tyre in the process you are forced to get out of the car, and that brings about the shoe issue again.

So, what's my point in all this? My point is that we are in the last week of August and it is STILL raining! Our crops are looking like this:


This is wheat, although don't ask me what variety. I had to ask Kym whether it was wheat or barley because I can't tell the difference until it comes out in head. At this time last year our crops were looking sad, and yellow, and just plain unhealthy. But look at this! Praise the Lord!

We are having the best finish to a growing season in five long years. Five bad years can be pretty tough on a community, family, relationship, and we certainly aren't counting our chickens yet.

.....but there is just the faintest glimmer of hope and air of optimism about the community at the moment.

Lord, thankyou for the continued rain throughout August. Our crops are growing strong and healthy and we are so grateful to you for providing the rain to sustain them. I pray now for finishing rain when the crops come out in head to allow the grains to form fully.

6 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

The economy is bad in the US too. Definitely makes you realize your blessings, and the things you've taken for granted!!

I'm so glad you're having a better year and I hope you'll all be blessed.

My ADHD Me said...

Yea for the rain! I remember you had been worried about the drought.
Crop looks beautiful.
Farming is such hard work. You work work work and then have to depend on God and weather.
Talk about reminding us that God is in control. That is a shining example.

Joanie said...

Praise God from whom all BLESSINGS flow... Praise Him all creatures here below...
Rejoicing and praising God for His provision of rain and faithfulness to all the farmers in your area of the world! I have been praying (nearly daily) for rain at the right time, protection of the crops, an abundant harvest and for Kym's eyes to be opened to see how much His Savior loves him and desires to be in relationship with him! May the Lord bring LIVING WATER to South Australia and may many hearts turn toward him, as their Savior provides and blesses 'their daily bread' for His glory!
I'm committed to pray through the harvest and even after for Kym (and the family)!
My love to you, my friend!

HisPrincess said...

Kelly: Yes we hear about the US economy pretty much on a daily basis. Our economy hasn't suffered too much as a flow on effect yet, but we are nervous. A break in the drought would certainly ease our minds somewhat!

Mary: I've often said that farmers are the biggest gamblers ever. They spend loads of money on seed, fertiliser and chemical and then leave it all to chance! Not for the faint hearted!

Joanie: Thank you so much for your continued prayer. It means so much to know that someone is praying for me, I can't thank you enough.

Joanie said...

Your pictures inspired me! We worked many hours in our "miniature fields" and made some good progress ~ okay, so we dug in the dirt and made the dirt look nice, but it is progress. I posted lots of pictures!

My low back, hips, neck and shoulders are very stiff tonight ~ but I'm filled with satisfaction that we're definitely making real progress. Hoping to put in the raised beds next weekend (holiday weekend in US).

I'm off to bed ~ have a great rest of your Sunday!

Leah Adams said...

I sure we wish had some rain. We are in a terrible drought here in the Southeastern US.

Thanks for a look into your area. I've always wanted to visit Australia. Perhaps one day!!

Leah