Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another day at the Field Days

Hi everyone.



I'm still walking (barely) after another day on my feet!



I took a couple of photo's today to share, so here they are...

Below is about half the tractors we have on display at our site. If you imagine another 20 or so sites like this displaying machinery, plus another 200 or so displaying everything from homewares, food, fencing, clothing to hats and socks then you have our field day. I was going to take a photo of the whole thing but you really need an aerial shot to do it justice. By the way, note the beautiful blue winter sky and lovely green pasture in the paddock in the background? We are having the best August in FIVE years! Praise the Lord! Please keep praying for an end to this drought, and for spring rains to finish our crops!



And here we have Stephanie and her cousin Renee acting the goat. Something they do exceptionally well. Their aim for today was to sit inside every tractor at the field day... I think they lost interest before they achieved that!

Tomorrow is the last day when everyone will pack up and go home until two years time when we will do it all again.

It's a huge amount of work for the local community, but it injects a lot of income into our local sporting clubs, churches and schools and the hard work is worth the effort.

I have to say at this stage I'm really looking forward to Saturday when it will all be over!

4 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

Hi. Droughts are awful. We've been lucky this year but last year the whole state was on water restrictions. It even affected our training at the fire dept. We could train by pumping water from ponds and flowing it right back in but every time we trained any other way, the citizens complained. Yes, it is excessive water use but if their house was on fire I bet they would want firefighters there that knew what they were doing!
P.S. That pic of the girls is adorable! (or should I say "cool")

Joanie said...

Delightful!

How I love a country gathering, looking at farm equipment (etc) and visiting with lots of folks... However, we normally save those types of activities for spring/summer/fall ~ not winter! ;) Interesting... Gorgeous sky!

I'm so jealous of the girls ~ but they are both such beautiful young woman! A happy day?!

Glad to hear you're holding up through this busy time. I shall pray for strength and finishing strong... :)

AND, I continue to pray for RAIN! Thank you Lord! You are so good and Your love truly endures forever...

Kelly said...

I don't think I ever told you, but my husband was a farm boy. He grew up in Iowa (USA) which is a huge farming state. They were grain farmers, and had cattle and hogs as well.

It was very hard work (as you well know) and he went on to the US Military Academy when he turned 18, and from there was able to become an engineer. He thinks fondly of the farming life...but is happy not to go back to the hard work. A desk job looks pretty good after having worked the farm!

HisPrincess said...

Hi Mary, yes droughts are awful. But there is always an "up" side. Our community has grown stronger for it, we have lost some families and those who are left have a really strong bond now. We too have been on water restrictions for years. All of those tractors were washed with a bucket and sponge! No hoses! After the rain we have been enjoying the restrictions have been relaxed a little but we are still very vigilant, and just a little bit paranoid! Oh, wait. I think thats just me!

Joanie: the girls had a great day together. I have another photo to share at some stage of the two of them riding the toy tractors we had there for the children. Never too cool to be a kid again! Thanks for your prayers. I'm back at my desk today...very thankful for my soft chair!

Kelly: Farming is hard work but such a rewarding lifestyle. Kym wouldn't have it any other way. As a father he spends a great deal of time with his kids, especially with Scott who is now old enough to help out around the farm. And such a great place for your kids to grow up.