Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Encouragement

Today I went to see Stephanie's counselor. I've been to see this lovely Christian lady myself in the past when I have needed help and today I sort of stood in for Stephanie. Stephanie left to go on a school camp this morning so couldn't make it, so when Gladys suggested I come along and catch up with where I am at and how I am coping I thought it couldn't hurt.

And it didn't hurt.

It really helped.

She was able to shed some light on why Stephanie thinks the way she does, and why I react the way I do. She also gave me some great tips and ideas on parenting in a Godly way during the teenage years.

But most of all she encouraged me. She gave me the great compliment of telling me what a good job I'm doing, and how I am a truly connected parent. That is a huge compliment, and I'm not sure I deserve it although I do try to keep the lines of communication open with Stephanie.

So....if anyone needs some advice see me! I'm an expert! Not! What I am doing is trying my best, and trying to trust the Lord with the care of my daughter. Trusting your childs care to someone else is really hard, even when that someone else is the creator of the universe!

Lord, thankyou for sending Gladys to offer me encouragement and advice. Thank you for continuing to watch over Stephanie. I pray that she can have a great time at school camp and get along with everyone and just enjoy the friendship and fellowship of her classmates. I pray that she behaves herself and does what she is told! All the time! Not just at school camp!

8 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

What terrific validation!!!! Does Gladys make house calls...to the United States??? Okay, okay, I know, get my own counselor. LOL.

I'm so glad you had this opportunity. Now pat yourself on the back 3 times.

Then say to your self "I don't really deserve the credit, God is in control." LOL!! If he gets the blame in bad times, he certainly get the credit in the good ones.

Have a WONDERFUL week and I hope Stephanie does too at camp.

Joanie said...

Rejoicing and praising God for His wonderful encouragement to you through Gladys!

The Lord really encouraged me today too and has given me much to consider and meditate upon.

Don't we serve an amazing God and isn't it mind boggling to know how much our awesome Heavenly Father loves us?!

Anonymous said...

Great news Sharon! Well done!

Its always great to hear such things from those detached from our everyday life......
I was blown away recently with comments made by my eldest sons teacher on his report and the teacher replied that its because of the work we have put into him......

I was blown away yet reminded by God that yes we are on the right path....

I pray you have been bouncing along each time you remember the counselors comment... pat yourself on the back.... you are a great mum! and friend to your children!

Anonymous said...

Tat was from Lynette by the way!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Kelly, Joanie and Lynette!

Yes it was lovely to hear, and I will try to remember it when I'm having a "I'm a bad parent" day.

My ADHD Me said...

Tell Gladys I'll be there tomorrow at 10AM. (guess I better get started now if I want to make it!)

HisPrincess said...

Don't panic Mary, Gladys is almost always late so you have a few minutes up your sleeve!

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon, came across your post as I begin to search for encouraging stories to share on our site. I use to live in Port Lincoln is that anywhere near where you are? Anyway I just wanted to say that encouragement is such a powerful free gift that God has given to each of us to encourage ourselves and each others. We have started a not for profit up on the Sunshine Coast called www.theencouragementfoundation.com.au
please feel free to join with us as we encourage others and to share this site with those who you think may need some encouragement. Julia