Thursday, August 28, 2008

I think I need a new job.

Yesterday my boss informed me that he is taking his family on a three month long holiday in March, April and May of 2010. He then went on to say that by then he wants me to not be his personal assistant but to completely be doing his job.

Excuse me?

I see on a daily basis the amount of stress he is under, the amount of demands placed on him by other directors in the company....and he wants me to do it for three months? EEEEEK!

Add to that the fact that April 2010 is my 20th wedding anniversary and Kym and I have long planned to take the honeymoon on our 20th wedding anniversary that we couldn't afford when we were married. Well, we did have a honeymoon, but I've always wanted one of those idyllic tropical island type honeymoons, and at ages 19 and 22 we couldn't afford that.

So, this means that I a) tell him that I don't think I can do it, which isn't necessarily true, because I think I'm capable but I'm not sure I want to. b)I start really paying attention when he tells me something about his job so I can do it well. c) I have 18 months to find a new job and avoid the whole situation. Avoiding is good. I can do that.

7 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

"Avoiding is good." Nah, avoiding is bad. It all piles up, and you have to deal with eventually.

Think about it. Pray about it. (for pete's sake you have 18 months!) You could have 2 kids in that time frame! (or at least 1 and 1/2.) Anything can happen in that time.

Decide in Jan 2010 what you want to do and let him know. That isn't avoiding. That's a plan!

Joanie said...

You make me LAUGH a great deal! Delight yourself in the Lord and He will delight Himself in you... and make it clear what you're supposed to do.

Sometimes, God asks us to do the HARD things and other times He shows us what His new plans are for us. Either way, trust that He will show you His plan and way for your life! Pray, pray and pray some more. Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened. It's His Word so it must be true. :)

Now, go get a cuppa, sit down, breathe deeply and relax. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope it comes with his sized paycheck!!!! Just think...you could PAY for a 2nd honeymoon with that pay rise.

Farmboy and I have promised ourselves the same thing - a second honeymoon on some hideously overpriced island somewhere. We couldn't afford it when we got married either. We originally thought for our 10th wedding anniversary but that didn't quite work out.

My ADHD Me said...

Your boss must have alot of trust in you to think you can do his job for three months.
I see pay raises and or promotions in the future?
Perhaps the honeymoon could be right after the boss gets back....as by then you will be ready for a break!
Don't stress over it.
It will work out for the best.

Edie said...

I was just about to "remind" that God always goes ahead of us and orchestrates our circumstances as He is watching out for us, then I looked at the title of your blog. :) See He even went ahead of me with the reminder. :) I have lifted this up to Him for you.

I love your blog design and have enjoyed my visit.

On another note... Please join us for a certificate of achievement presentation for ADHD at my blog. Feel free to bring a guest. :D See you there!

sailorcross said...

I would definitely put this to God in prayer for a while before I made a decision. As Kelly pointed out, you do have some time.

And also, I would want to know if all of this added responsibility comes with some added perks--like an increase in salary while you're doing his job.

With an addition in income, you could probably take a vacation with a lot of ease in your mind that this expenditure isn't taking away from other things.

Hmmmm....a lot to think about, but I wouldn't avoid it.

Beth

HisPrincess said...

Avoiding is my forte!

I avoid the dentist (hmm, possibly with consequences!), I avoid confrontation like you wouldn't believe! Hmmm, this could be a good blog subject so I'll stop now!

But, thanks everyone so much for your advice and prayers. And yes you are right, I need to not panic and let the Lord take the drivers seat. Listen to me "let" the Lord, as if I have any control!

So, I'm not stressing and just letting it happen. All the while paying very close attention to everything that Mark (that's my boss) does!