Monday, July 7, 2008

Empty Nest

This weekend I had my first taste of what it will be like when the kids leave home.

We've had time without the kids before, but this time it felt different. I think because in the not too distant future it will be a reality.

I'm not sure I liked it.

Kym and I had our tea, which we prepared together. That was nice. Then we sat down and watched the footy on tv, which was a very one sided match and not very interesting. So now what? You mean we have to talk to each other?

It took us a while but we did manage a conversation! Isn't it funny (well, probably not funny) how you get so caught up in life, kids, work, that you forget how to have a real conversation? OUr conversations are generally "can you pick up some milk on the way home" "What time should we tell Steph to come home" "can you please stop flicking through the channels" "who stole the remote?"....and the list goes on. Lots of one liners, but not much real conversation.

So, what to do? I'm thinking we need to go on a date. We haven't done that in a while, so that is the plan. Next week we are going to the Barossa for a few days to spend time with some dear friends and we might take the opportunity to visit a nice restaurant for some nice food and conversation!

I will let you know how it goes.....

8 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

First, your new blog layout is very pretty. wow. And you now use everyones real names, not nicknames. You are getting brave. Like it!

Second - date night is awesome! My husband and I always come back to life after a date night. It really blesses a marriage, because kids can just take the wind out of you.

Glad to be connected again!

My ADHD Me said...

Hope your date night goes well. Without kids, noise, rush of day-to-day etc, I bet you two end up feeling like newlyweds again.

Joanie said...

Wow ~ what a change on your blog! It looks soothing and peaceful. I'd like to go to that "place"...

Okay ~ so now I have to get used to using everyone's actual names (and just after I had trained myself to use their 'computer nicknames') ;)

Blaine and I are faced with the same dilemma. Our children are definitely in the 'ready to take flight' stage and we are realizing that life is going to be VERY different sooner than imagined. We have the same problems. I can take any of the children out and we can talk for hours, but Blaine and I went out on a 'mini-date' to a bakery/coffee shop after church yesterday and we struggled to chat with each other. Ugh. We realize we need to work alot on our own relationship. We have very different interests, but know we'll have to find some common ground. Also, I love to talk but he is quiet. SO ~ I'm right there with you and will pray for both of us! (I think we'd make great friends ~ don't you?!) :-)

Lelia Chealey said...

OH yes, communication is so important! Gene & I help with Weekend to Remember marriage conferences with Family Life. So good, you should see if it comes your way.
www.familylife.com go to conferences.
I love dates with my husband!
Thanks for your prayers for our girl, they are being heard by Him!!!
Blessings,
Lelia

HisPrincess said...

Kelly, I'm glad you are connected again too! Kym and I used to go away for at least one weekend per year but that is getting harder and harder to squeeze in. We obviously need to get our priorities sorted!

Mary, I'm sure our date night will be great. I do quite like him you know!

Joanie, yes I thought it was time for a change, and I was getting sick of trying to remember computer names. What do you mean "we'd make great friends" I thought we were great friends! :)

Lelia, so glad to hear that Alyssa is on the road back, praise the Lord. Great to hear from you again!

Joanie said...

Sorry... "my we'd make great friends" comment meant that we're so much alike that I just keep shaking my head when you post something and I can relate to it or I post and then you relate.

I guess God knew we REALLY needed each other!

I can't imagine not having you as a friend in my life! You help support me and encourage me at just the right time. I hope I do the same for you... We're almost like "two peas in a pod" - scary!

Anonymous said...

The Barossa! My dream place to visit. We have had friends move to Crystal Brook, and so I want to jump in the car and go down via Broken Hill and see more of S.A. than the airport!!! And doing the rounds of the wine region, even though I am no major wine buff, is high on my list of places to go... Have a wonderful time with your husband.

HisPrincess said...

I was just kidding Joanie! I knew what you meant!

Naomi: I'm really looking forward to our little mini break. We have been to the Barossa a few times now, and we aren't wine buffs either but it's just a beautiful place to visit, with great food!