Sunday, July 6, 2008

Baring your soul

Baring your soul is hard. Especially in front of people, people you know, people who thought they knew you.

Today at church myself and a dear friend Melissa ran the service. Once a month we have a family service where a family or an individual from the congregation co-ordinates the service.

Melissa and I got together and decided our theme this week would be "come as you are". We organised lots of great songs, a couple of nice warm fuzzie readings, a dvd clip showing a girl feeling out of place, and then Melissa thought it might be a good idea to ask people to share a time when they have felt they didn't belong.

She started the ball rolling with a great story of her own, funny, eloquent, with a great message. The whole time she was talking I was waging a battle in my own head, it went something like this.

You have to share your thoughts.

No.

You are being prompted to share your story, so you have to obey.

No. I'll cry. I hate crying.

I can't talk and cry, my face wrinkles up and my voice goes all squeeky.

They won't understand a word, so no point doing it.

God, if I share my story please help me out by letting me not cry.

Can I have a sign? Do we have a deal? Hello?

Please please please help me keep it together.

Maybe if you write it down and read it out you won't cry.

(madly scribbles on back of order of service)

She is almost finished.

Nope. Can't do it. Hate crying.

Melissa then finished up her story and handed me the microphone, where I was to introduce the next song.

I took the microphone, and my little story badly scribbled, and stood up. I just felt compelled to share what I had written. And I cried (I was a bit cross about this!, but have decided that perhaps I needed to show how I really felt, which meant crying) But I managed to get through it and get my message across. It went something like this:

My story isn't as witty or amusing as Melissa's, but I feel I need to share it regardless. I have often felt out of place right here, in this church. (voice wobbles) I turn up every week (ok, most weeks) without a husband, and often without children to what is a fantastic family church. (start sniffling here). I've come to realise though, that the standards that I feel I can't live up to aren't God's standards, but my own. (not sure if they understood any of this through gulps, sniffles and deep breaths). I'm finally getting it through my thick head that I can come here and belong, no matter where I am in my life, because the Lord will always meet me wherever I am.

Now, I didn't say much, but it took me a while, and I felt such a sense of releif. Almost like I really needed to say it. Obviously I did really need to say it or the Lord wouldn't have poked and prodded me until I did.

Lord, thank you that you meet me where ever I am at. Thank you that you love me just as I am, and that your love is unconditional. I pray that I can continue to work on my insecurities and grow closer and closer to you each day.

13 valued opinions!:

Julie said...

I found you through Lelia's blog.

Your words that you shared at church were beautiful.
I often feel like I don't belong too...sometimes I feel like a fish out of water... And then I remember....I belong with Him.

Thanks for this reminder!
Hugs,
Julie

HisPrincess said...

Hi Julie,
Thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Leah Adams said...

Good for you!! Obedience is always the way to go!!! Only heaven knows whose heart you touched!!

Leah

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Leah.
Obedience is something that I really struggle with, and not just with the Lord! I disobey myself sometimes!

Joanie said...

I often don't feel I belong... So glad you obeyed what God laid on your heart to share. I'm really proud of you, my friend.

Now that our church has a big, new sanctuary ~ I really don't feel like I belong. One of the bass players for the worship band causes a vibration that I can't handle, so I often wait outside the church doors during worship and return for the sermon. As soon as the band returns to the platform to end the service, I exit once more... It's humilating to leave when there are up to 600 people in the sanctuary. I've discovered that the doors are unlocked to the chapel (old sanctuary) and God is waiting for me there and I can rest in His wonderful, loving arms. And then, I feel like I belong to Him!

Laura said...

What a wonderful testimony! I'm a cryer, too, so I know exactly what you felt and went through today. And no matter how many sniffles or voice quakings you had, God received the Glory!

I love new friends, Sharon, so thanks for visiting my blog. Just a little curious, though, as to how you found me! Visit me again, please!

HisPrincess said...

Joanie: Thanks so much for your wisdom and encouragement as always. I've really come to rely on you for that!

Laura: To be honest I'm not sure where I came across you, I think it may have been through Chatty Kelly's blog? I was just surfing along and something about you caught my eye. Look forward to getting to know you!

agrantham81 said...

I have tears, thanks for sharing this story with us as well.

Anonymous said...

How real your words were to me!!! My goodness, it could have been coming from my mouth - in fact I have had a very similar experience! And, oh, yes, the tears were there... It was you up there in front of the congregation, sharing something close to your heart in obedience to our God. And He honours you in that - how beautiful!

I love what you have done with your blog page, too. It has such a peaceful appearance...

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Naomi!

I find it an uphill battle to try to encourage my family to come to the Lord. I have decided lately to let it go, leave it with Him, and work on building my own faith and relationship with the Lord. I can't bring them to Him, but He certainly can. It's just a matter of me getting out of the way.

My ADHD Me said...

I really felt like I was one of VERY few people who feel that way. Then I read your post and all the comments and realized I'm not alone.
As for the crying....I'm exactly like that. I grew up in a situation that made me believe crying was a sign of weakness. Even now, I'll do almost anything to avoid crying around others.
Thanks for the heads up.

lightening said...

Well done. I was disappointed not to be there in person. But I was there in spirit - praying for you. :)

We're back. :) You've been busy playing while I've been away. The site looks lovely.

Catch up with you soon.

{{{HUGS}}} I'm so proud of you.

HisPrincess said...

Yay! Jodi is back!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.