Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The "be nice to your family" experiment.

I would like to report that this experiment is going exceptionally well.

The subjects are responding in a manner supporting my previous theories.

Subject number 1 responds very positively when affection is displayed, even a small thing such as a smile or a change in tone of voice initiates a favourable reaction.

Subject number 2 is a little more difficult to read. Being more caught up in her own little bubble she requires much more attention, but with extra effort has actually asked if she can help with the dishes. Perhaps she is not for sale after all.

Subject number 3 is the easiest of all to influence. He soaks up every favourable word and encouragement like a dry sponge. As with subject number 2 he has morphed into a helpful and pleasant soul overnight. Although I have noticed the positive affirmation seems to make him talk even more. Wasn't sure that was possible, but you never know what will happen when taking on scientific experiments such as this.

Subject number 4 has been an impossible nut to crack. He see's positive affirmation, affection, love, attention as his right, merely affirming his place in the household as ruler and lord of all he sees. He still looks at you with disdain when you tell him he is beautiful (like, he knows that already), he leaves the room when you offer affection (stop messing with the fur woman), and he eyes you with haughty disdain if the food is not delivered correctly and on time.

Sigh. You can't win them all!

4 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

How delightful!

Glad to hear the "experiment" has be successful to differing degrees... Have you experienced any "returns" on your investment in them?

Subject 4 left me, initially, puzzled - but then laughing quite loudly - when I realized it was Boris (and no it didn't take me all the way until you mentioned the word FUR) :)

So thankful the Lord has given you a "grand sense of humour" to get through challenging situations and every day life!

Your posts liven up my days! Who needs television when I can visit your blog... ;)

Kelly said...

I've got to try the experiment...but I don't want to! Oh my.

Tell me again why people have cats?

HisPrincess said...

Yes Joanie my sense of humour keeps me sane. Or at least a little less insane.

Kelly we have cats just to stop us thinking we are superior. No one can make you feel inferior like a cat!

My ADHD Me said...

Ha! When I first read this post, I thought subject #4 was your husband, as he surely sounded like mine! Then I read the comments, went back and Re-read your post and, duh, realized subject #4 was your cat. HAHA
Glad things seem to be working out. Especially with the teenager. They can be difficult but mine, as it seems yours, does seem to try hard and when praised they do feel so good about themselves. So you're right, we won't put them up for sale.
I have a plaque that says:
"Mothers of Teenagers Know Why Animals Eat Their Young!"