Monday, July 21, 2008

Blessings

Yesterday after church I was truly blessed by a dear friend.

She notices when I'm not myself.

She cares, and encourages, and it's such a comfort to know that she is there.

Until she came up and spoke to me after church, I wasn't really aware that there were some things weighing heavy on my heart. But she noticed, and asked if I would mind if we prayed together.

So we prayed. And during that prayer I felt lightened.

So many people bless me in so many different ways. I think my challenge is to remember to return the favour. It's too easy to get caught up in your own stuff, and not look around you. So that is my aim. To notice. To bless. To care.

And in a radical move, I think I will start with my own family. They often bear the brunt of my impatience, my insecurities, my general grumpiness. Today I'm going to remind myself that these people are the people that I hold dearest in my heart. They matter. They deserve the "away from home" version of Sharon, who is polite, and friendly, and tolerant (well, not completely intolerant).

Lord, help me to be a blessing to my family. Help me show them how much I love them, not just by telling them, but how I treat them. Help me also to bless those who cross my path on a day to day basis. Remind me that it's not about me, it's about glorifying you.

5 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a lovely time away... I've yet to get there, but one day, and soon, I hope...

You said my post spoke to you - well, yours just spoke volumes to me!!! Isn't God fab at doing that for us!!!

Kelly said...

Let me know how this goes - I would like to copy your idea. I often joke that if a stranger runs over your heel with a cart in the grocery store, you respond "it's okay!" as you limp away. Meanwhile, you scream at your family member who does the same thing.

Life - we trust the ones we love to see the ugly us. It's a strange compliment, huh?

HisPrincess said...

It is indeed a strange compliment!

I went home from work and thanked Kym for helping with dinner (he always helps, I rarely thank), complimented Steph on how well she is playing the guitar now, listened to Scott's constant chatter without once telling him to be PLEASE be quiet and go away. And it was a very pleasant, harmonious evening.

I made a conscious effort, and I'm hoping if I keep making this effort that it will become second nature. Sounds good in theory!

My ADHD Me said...

Ah, another list. Ways to bless my family...........

Leah Adams said...

Isn't it sad that we treat those we love the worst? Thanks for the reminder to be kinder to my family!!

Leah