Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Pain!

Last night was the first game of our Spring squash pennant.

Last pennant Scott played for the first time and he really enjoyed it. I filled in a couple of times when someone couldn't make it and it didn't kill me, so I thought maybe this time I would play every week.

I'm now wondering at the wisdom of that decision.

While I was really pleased with my first ever "real" game, and the fact that by the third game I was learning to stop hitting it like a tennis player, this morning every muscle in my body aches! I used muscles that I didn't know existed!

I actually found it pretty hard to hit the ball the way the squash players do, and they all commented that you could tell I am a tennis player. Squash is a wrist movement, tennis is a full body backswing. And I also found that a two handed backhand just does not work for squash.

But I'm learning. And I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to learning how to hit those tricky shots off the back wall, and learning to think about my shots rather than just hit it back. The thing I really loved about squash is that unlike tennis it's pretty hard to hit the ball out! Wayward shots that go sideways then forwards are good shots in squash! I could get used to that! It will be interesting to see if it affects my tennis game. Coz I'm such a champion and all. Not!

Of course I gave myself a chocolate reward for all that effort!

Kym also made a comeback to squash after not playing for 15 years. Of course he just picked it up as if he'd never stopped playing. Sometimes I hate him! In the nicest possible way of course!

Scott had a pretty easy win for his first game which he was a bit dissappointed about, said he would have preferred a longer hit. I won one game but lost my set 1-3, and Kym lost his set 2-3 which was a pretty good effort considering he is playing at number 2 in the team after not having played for 15 years. Like me he is a bit stiff and sore today!

5 valued opinions!:

lightening said...

Go You!!! Sounds like a great way to get fit. Pain is your friend! Okay, that's probably taking it a bit too far but sometimes pain can be a good thing. Means you've worked your body hard. :)

Kelly said...

Wow - sounds like you're working off all that chocolate! What a fun family activity. Kudos!

HisPrincess said...

Lightening: Pain is your friend. Pfffft. What's with that! Chocolate is my friend. CHOOCCOOOLAAATE! mmmmmm

Kelly: Yes it was a nice way to do something together. Well, almost together. Princess Stephanie didn't join us, but we might be able to talk her into it.

Edie said...

After all that hard work, your DESERVE Chocolate! Wow, you really are a sports person. I attempted tennis a time or two but quickly learned that I was not very good at it, something about the fact that the other person likes an opportunity to return the shot. Now Ping-Pong I can do! :D

Glad you had so much fun, now go eat some chocolate.

Joanie said...

How wonderful to see you getting involved with another sport and to hear that Kym joined in after a long absence! Is it not hard on your knees like netball? Are you going to keep it up? I'm looking forward to hearing more! :)