Thursday, September 18, 2008

Balloon Trees

Every year when (or if) one of our netball teams win a premiership our club puts on a victory dinner for them. Usually we have more than one team celebrating so they all get together and sort out decorations, menus etc. This year with it just being our team it's sort of up to me to organise the decorating, luckily our club president is doing the catering.

I wanted to make a special effort to have everything looking nice for my girls. It was a tough year and I'm looking at it as a way of thanking them for putting up with my mood swings, grumpiness, disorganisation, and for throwing them all over the court in positions they weren't used to.

So, I rang our local party supply place and asked for some suggestions. The nice lady suggested I get mini balloons and make mini balloon trees in our club colours for the centre piece of each table. She worked out how many I would need and any other supplies I would need and assured me that it was really easy.

But there is just one issue.

One I didn't mention to the nice lady at the party supply place.

I'm afraid of balloons.

I kid you not.

I don't know why. It's completely irrational (as a lot of fears are) but I just get all worked up imagining that they are going to pop. The actual balloon popping doesn't bother me so much, but the anticipation of it popping brings me out in a cold sweat.

I can kill deadly spiders, I can abseil, I swim every summer in Australia's home of the great white shark, I love fast, high rollercoasters, I've climbed the highest Karri Pine in the country, I've even killed a venomous snake all by myself.

But making a balloon tree...now that is really scary stuff.

Firstly, these are mini balloons, and the little blighters are really hard to blow up.
Secondly, you have to tie two of them together at a time, and this takes a bit more manual dexterity and patience than I posess.
And Lastly, this is the really scary bit. You have to twist and stretch and push and pull them to get them into a sort of ball of balloons. Shudder.

I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it.

10 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

OH MY GOSH!! I thought I was the only person afraid of balloons. I am terrified of those things! I am not scared of the mylar ones, they never pop! But you described it so much, it isn't the actual pop - but the anticipation.

Sisters in irrational fear - unite!

(Driving with a balloon in the car - HELP!)

Joanie said...

"Oh dear....", replied Piglet; as his friend Winnie the Pooh shared the scary balloon story! ;)

Guess I'm not much help, but I do have a happy thought to share ~ I mailed your 'goodies' package yesterday and it should arrive in 5-10 days! :)

HisPrincess said...

Kelly I'm so glad I'm not alone! And you are right about driving with a balloon in the car! They shouldn't hand those things out at birthday parties, they're dangerous!

Joanie I can't wait! Doesn't have any balloons in it does it?

Edie said...

I'm sorry I can't help but laugh, not *at* you I promise. This was cute and I understand that it is a real fear. So did these trees get made or did you decide on something different?

HisPrincess said...

Feel free to laugh Edie, if we can't laugh at ourselves then life wouldn't be much fun!

I have made one tree. Very proud of myself but will be leaving the others to someone else tonight!

Joanie said...

Hope "Stephanie" (the someone else?) is willing to lend a hand and lots of hot air to help relieve your anxiety...

No balloons in the surprise package. I'll remember that in the future ~ or I'll try to anyway! :)

I guess this means you don't enjoy water balloon fights?!

Anonymous said...

The more I get to know you, the funnier I think you are. And I'm not laughing at you either - a fear's a fear - irrational or not. Hope you have a good time celebrating the year with your team. And thanks for Sammo's birthday wishes... we've had a great day.

sailorcross said...

Don't feel so bad about being afraid of balloons!! They do pop and they do make a very loud noise!!

Me--I have an irrational fear of clowns!! Why? I don't know--just do!!

Beth

By the way, did you ever get your invite? Are you still interested in this? I've sent it twice now, but a friend of mine that I've sent an invite to hasn't ever received hers!! Let me know if you're still interested, if you've received this, and if not--I'll try, try again!!

My ADHD Me said...

First of all..."the little blighters", I Loved that.

Second of all, go to Edies blog. there is some great balloon therapy there.

Third - Check you out...working through your fear for the team...Yea You!

HisPrincess said...

Balloons are are inflated and fixed in place. Not one popping incident.

Joanie: I don't have a problem with water balloons, they don't go bang!

Naomi: You are allowed to laugh at me! Even I understand that a fear of balloons is funny!

Beth: No I haven't received an invitation. I did give you my email address didn't I?

Mary: I wasn't sure if "little blighters" was Australian slang or universally understood. Glad you appreciate my colourful language!