Monday, September 22, 2008

Driven to Chocolate

It's just been one of those days.

Firstly I slept really badly because the wind was howling, and I hate the wind. Things bang, fall over, crops dry out and die, and it messes your hair up.

Then I got a panicky phone call from Steph who is in Port Lincoln for work experience. She had left home some things that to her were life threateningly important, and added to the fact that she is way outside her comfort zone, she was beside herself. I comforted her and told her where to go to buy a new toothbrush which sent her further into spin. She has a real problem shopping on her own, she just hates going up to a counter and paying for something. I assured her she would be fine. She has plenty of money. Everything will be ok.

Upon getting to work I was faced with a mountain of paperwork and a very grumpy boss. I have spent the day tackling that mountain and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Everything I pick up needs something from someone else, or hasn't been completed properly, or is just too hard for me to think about today. As for the grumpy boss, I'm just trying to stay out of his way, I hate it when he gets like this, makes me really tense.

So, now I am having a cup of coffee and some chocolate. Because chocolate always makes things better, other than the waistline that is. I'm sure it's not making that any better! But I am justifying it by telling myself that I need the boost, and I haven't had time for either breakfast or lunch today so really, it's not that bad. I can just hear Joanie scolding me!

I've not heard any more from Steph so I'm hoping she is having a good day. The Naturopath that she is working with is really lovely and I'm hoping and praying she will be able to put Steph at ease. I find it really difficult to not continually rescue her, she finds new situations like this just so hard to cope with, and I just don't understand the shopping thing! What girl doesn't like to shop?

10 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

I hope the rest of your day goes better. Hmmm...I wonder why people go to chocolate as a stress reliever. I know a lot of people who do this. I also wonder how much it would cost to send you some--I live only 20 minutes from the Hershey factory--chocolate fresh from the factory! Ah, I shouldn't be tempting you this way, should I?

I'm sure Steph is fine. This will be a good learning experience for her.

I woke with the feeling of dread of having to go into my workplace today. Then I stopped over to firefly's place and read what she had written. Completely changed my view of the day!

Beth

Anonymous said...

There's something in chocolate that relaxes you - enjoy!!! And hope you got a better sleep last night... poor you!

HisPrincess said...

I spoke to Steph last night and she had had a really great day. The Naturopath was kind and took the time to teach her a lot in between patients. She also has a young assistant who is studying to be a Naturopath and Steph really enjoyed her company also.

It was so wonderful to hear the joy in her voice. She was overflowing with things to tell me, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I felt I had a weight lifted that I had no idea I was carrying.

sailorcross said...

What wonderful news!! Your prayers are being answered!! Thank you, Jesus!!

Joanie said...

What?! No breakfast or lunch?! I've just learned that we should eat breakfast within 30-60 minutes of getting out of bed. Our metabolism needs to break the fast and begin functioning for the new day... otherwise our metabolism begins to attack itself and thinks the body is beginning to starve and then doesn't absorb nutrients properly. It's a vicious cycle. It's been a difficult adjustment for me, but I'm doing good most days ~ so... You NEED to eat a healthy breakfast for a proper foundation for your day!

(Of course, I don't blame you for having a cuppa and chocolate. ;) I've reached for chocolate many a time myself.) I've found the most amazing chocolate sauce - from raw cacao - and it's absolutely fabulous! I may have to include a jar whenever I put your next goodie box together... :)

Sorry to hear Stephanie has struggled, but thankful to hear the Lord is working things out for her. What a blessing to hear the happiness in your voice as your joy overflows!

The wind is truly a friend to me and the sound gives me such peace ~ even when it's fierce during a storm (though sometimes it does scare me a bit), but I can understand why it would trouble you. Praying our precious Lord Jesus would calm the winds and bless you all with a good, soaking rain.

I'm off to make dinner ~ as I've got to take Blaine dinner this evening (though I really don't enjoy crossing the picket line to get to him), but he forgot the dinner he took at his regular job location... It's been a challenge making dinner each evening, as usually Blaine does that "job" ~ but so far, so good. No complaints from anyone and it's actually been nice to make dinner for everyone...

Struggling with significant muscle and headache pain, as the chiropractor continues to adjust my neck, back and pelvis... I've been reassured that this will eventually subside and I'll truly feel better. Well, it sends me to my knees and keeps me in prayer ~ not only for pain relief and strength to endure, but also to keep lifting all of you and the crops (physical and spiritual) to the Lord. Bless you, my friend!

Kelly said...

Driven to Chocolate...try this:

DANGEROUS CHOCOLATE CAKE-IN-A-MUG

1 coffee mug
4 Tbsp. cake flour (plain, not self-rising)
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
Small splash of vanilla
3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, optional

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.
Add egg, mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk and oil and vanilla, mix well.
Add chips, if using.
Put mug in microwave, and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts.
Cake will rise over top of mug--do not be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little; tip onto a plate if desired.
Eat!

Kelly said...

Driven to Chocolate...try this:

DANGEROUS CHOCOLATE CAKE-IN-A-MUG

1 coffee mug
4 Tbsp. cake flour (plain, not self-rising)
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
Small splash of vanilla
3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, optional

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.
Add egg, mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk and oil and vanilla, mix well.
Add chips, if using.
Put mug in microwave, and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts.
Cake will rise over top of mug--do not be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little; tip onto a plate if desired.
Eat!

Kelly said...

Whoops - sorry - it double posted. But look at your comment numbers going up! *grin*

Jenny said...

Grumpy bosses I can relate too big time! Chocolate and coffee another check. We have more in common than we realize!

Seriously, you are a dear and I always feel encouraged after I drop by!
Have a better afternoon!
Jeb

HisPrincess said...

Wow Kelly! I am seriously going to have to try that!

Joanie thank you for your encouragement, I knew you would have something to say about the no breakfast thing! You will be pleased to know I had yoghurt and museli this morning!

Jen the bosses got even grumpier. The trouble is that I work for a family company run by 5 directors. Yesterday all but one of them had a go at me about something. I didn't let them see it but I cried all the way home. I am now praying for the Lord to either help me get out or help me cope.