Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Netball Presentation Dinner

Question: What happens when a bunch of 100 or so women get together to dress up, have lunch and celebrate netball?
Answer: Heaps of fun and a whole lot of silliness!

And what am I talking about? Each year our netball association, Eastern Eyre, which is made up of five clubs get together for the annual netball presentation dinner. This is where the votes are counted and the best player awards are awarded for the association. Three players from our club took home awards so we are pretty proud of them! It's also an opportunity to thank coaches, administrators, umpires and anyone who helps keep netball running every Saturday.

Each year we have a theme, this year it was EENA (stands for Eastern Eyre Netball Association) has got talent. Each club had to come up with a routine to entertain everyone with at the dinner. One club did a comedy act, a send up of Baywatch, another were a circus, another dressed up as the cast from Grease and danced to Greased Lightning. Our club went as cheerleaders. We did a cheer routine to "Mickey" and looked really silly but we had a great time.

Here is Stephanie all dressed as a cheerleader. As you can see our costumes were pretty simple. It's just our netball uniform with a white t shirt over the top and a sparkly red R sewn on the front. Simple but effective. Doesn't she look gorgeous with the cute curly piggy tails?
This is during the routine. Steph is on the end and I am next to her. And we aren't just sitting there doing nothing, we are waiting our turn to jump up and do our thing!


This is our attempt at a stack to finish with. The photo was taken a bit soon before Steph got right up on top. If you are wondering where I am I'm at the back giving Steph a boost to climb up!

It was a great day out and a good time was had by all. It's really good to get together with the other clubs that we compete with so fiercely. We all want to promote netball in our community and it was nice to leave behind the competitiveness for a day. Only for a day though! Two weeks to go til Grand Final day.

9 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

Well, that looked like a whole lot of fun. You really need times like these to let loose and be crazy.

Edie said...

I really enjoyed this! Looks like you all had a great time and I'm so glad you posted the pics. Can you tell me exactly what is Netball? Is it what we call volleyball?

Kelly said...

Wow! How fun! Looks like I wasn't the only one with "Grease" on my mind! And "Mickey" - what a "fine" choice! It blows my mind. (Hey Mickey!) Sorry - you know I love songs.

What a fun, fun, fun time! And a great opporutnity for mother-daughter bonding! you are both too cute.

Joanie said...

Stephanie is such a beautiful young woman and a 'real cutie too'! I love the outfits!

You both look like you had a great deal of fun at the dinner ~ how I love it when you share your community activities. Such a blessing to me...

I'm praying and looking forward to see how you (and the Lord) work out Grand Final day.

You are so blessed in ways I can only imagine living in the city. It does make me want to 'pack my bags' and find a few acres near a small town... However, the Lord would have to send me there, 'cause I'm not willing to go where I want if He's not with me!

HisPrincess said...

Naomi: It was a lot of fun and a great opportunity to just let loose.

Edie: Netball is similar to basketball. It was invented back when ladies wore long dresses so couldn't play basketball so the rules were modified. It's huge here in Australia and across other countries of the Commonwealth since it originated in England. How's that for a history lesson!

Kelly: Yes I noticed that we were both thinking Grease!

Joanie: You can pack your bags and come visit anytime, although you may have to come by boat to avoid flying!

My ADHD Me said...

You two look like sisters in that picture. (or at least like a young aunt and her niece!).

Glad to see you out and having fun. I love going to things like that....variety shows....talent shows etc.

The costumes were perfect.

Jenny said...

That looks like lots of fun! I love your new layout but I loved the other one too!

Jen

Leah Adams said...

Girl, you and Stephanie just look way too cute!! What a blast!! Thanks for sharing the pix.

Leah

Lelia Chealey said...

You & your daughter both are beautiful! Looks like you had a blast. Okay...what is netball? If I had to guess I'd say what we call volleyball here in the States. Am I close? :)

Thanks for always being such an encouragement to me. I have really enjoyed getting to know you better.

Funny how our girls look so sweet! Hard to believe there is a rebellious bone in their bodies! ;) We will make it through this...they may not,but we will prevail. Lol...they'll make it too and look back and think "why" did I do those things?

Love ya,
lelia