Sunday, September 14, 2008

The last time I talk about netball...

Honestly. This will be the last post about netball this year. I promise.

Yesterday my team played the grand final, and after three quarters of less than promising netball they came back in the final quarter to win!

So much relief!

I haven't let myself think about the possibility of winning all week. I've been there before and lost and I didn't want to get my hopes up.

But I was so proud of them. While I can't exactly say they played their best game they did what they needed to do to get themselves over the line. And that is all that matters.

Today we have spent the day at our club at our end of year football and netball "wind up". This is where we thank people for helping out, award trophies to players who have excelled and acknowledge the hard work that poeple like coaches, trainers, physios, umpires etc put in. All of this work is done voluntarily and it is what keeps country clubs like ours alive.

Our netball club is quite a successful one, and it isn't unusual for us to bring home two or three premierships for different grades. This year we had three teams playing in the grand final in three different grades. Two of them were thought to have a pretty good chance, but only one of us won. And that was us.

The team I coach is the lowest of the senior grades. It is a combination of players new to the game, juniors in their first year of competition and older more experienced players who aren't able to play in the higher grades anymore. Sometimes we feel like the forgotten team. Sometimes we are the forgotten team. In a community where netball is something that all young girls aspire to excel at we often celebrate the elite and forget everyone else.

But not today.

Today our team was the toast of the club. It was their day in the sun. Their moment to shine. And shine they did.

One of my players was awarded a trophy as the most improved senior player. This award is given to one player in the senior grades (we have four senior grades) who has made a marked improvement over the year. The coaches nominate someone and put in a recommendation to a committee who then decide who to award the trophy to. This year the Rudall Netball Club Most Improved Senior Player was awarded to LIGHTENING . WOOHOO!!! I was so proud of her!!!

I did have some photos to share but Stephanie lost the camera yesterday. Onya Steph. I'm sure if you give her a day or two Lightening will have some photos to share on her blog.

So. There you go. Netball is over for another year. And just for the record...I won't be coaching next year. If I suggest it at some stage then somebody please slap me.

19 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

Congratulations on your first place win!!!

I have to say, netball sounds like a lot of fun. But, I'm thinking it may be a little too much for me--I'm just too old!

Beth

Kelly said...

Hooray!!! Congrats! What a wonderful job. Blessings to you.

My ADHD Me said...

Congrats!! Yea!! Hooray!!

So glad your team did so well. And yes, I will slap you if you mention doing it next year.

Edie said...

YAY for your team and YAY for Lightening!! It sounds like you've made some great memories this year. You can't replace that. Congratulations to all of you!

Edie said...

ooops....
and YAY for you most of all for coaching them!!!! You are a good leader.

HisPrincess said...

Beth: Netball is a lot of fun which is why I can't seem to let it go. I'd still love to be playing but since I can't I have to be satisfied with coaching.

Kelly: Thanks!

Mary: Thankyou, I am relying on people to remind me how much I complained if I consider coaching this many players again.

Edie: Thankyou for the lovely compliment. I'm not sure if I'm a good leader or not, but I am very proud of my girls.

sailorcross said...

If you're still interested in the Prayer Journal, I have it up and running.

If you still want to be a participant in this, just drop me an e-mail with your address, and I'll send you an invite.

You can either use the address listed on my profile or sailorcross2007@yahoo.com

I'm thinking walking or biking is more my speed these days!!

Beth

Joanie said...

Congratulations to the team, the coach and Lightening! What a wonderful way to end the season...

I'm also thankful that the season is finished and it's time to move on to new endeavors. Oh yes, I'll be first in line to "slap" you should you even start 'hinting' next year!

Again, congratulations! I hope the camera resurfaces so you can keep sharing delightful pictures from there... You all deserve some rest and relaxation. :)

Way to go. Job well done...

Anonymous said...

What? I might slap you if you don't come back!!! You mean you're going to ABANDON me???? Waaaahhhh!!!!

My ADHD Me said...

Hi His Princess. Don't consider it comment cheating...

My ADHD Me said...

It's just conversation...

My ADHD Me said...

See, anyone can do it!!

My ADHD Me said...

Have a great day!!

My ADHD Me said...

By the way, it looks like you are going to get slapped whether you do or don't coach next year. I'll get the ice-pack ready! :)

Joanie said...

I've been thinking about it more and realized you didn't share why you don't what to coach next year... Is it the stress? Is it potentially dealing with confrontation? Is it something else entirely?

You love netball and sport, in general, so I'm just wondering...

HisPrincess said...

Jodi: I'll still be around! Thinking I might try for a come back. I'd love to play with Stephanie but I'm not sure I want to live with the possible consequences!

Joanie: It's a combination of things. I'm tired and grumpy. Trying to juggle so many players and rotate them successfully really took it's toll on me, plus the added stress of coaching my daughter. And I'm thinking I would like to have a go at playing just one more year. Just one. But to do that I would have to start working on my fitness now, because asking my knee to carry extra weight as well as cope with netball would be just too much!

Joanie said...

A great reason to join Live Well Wednesdays and stay accountable with others... Hmmmm ~ I think you'll have to cut back on the chocolate habit.
I just ordered two new exercise DVDs ~ a Christian yoga and a walking workout (indoor), so I'll let you know how it goes. I guess this means you'll be at the gym more than once a week. Won't Jodi be glad that both of you can work out 2-4 times per week!
I can't wait to see pictures of you PLAYING next year... (Your physio is likely thrilled???) ;)

HisPrincess said...

Funnily enough I haven't mentioned this idea of my big comeback to my physio...or my husband!

I have been a good girl all week, only one square of chocolate and my squash game ended up being 5 sets so I'm hoping that I can get into a fitness routine soon.

Joanie said...

Way to go, my friend!

So...when do you plan to break the BIG NEWS to everyone?