Wednesday, February 13, 2008

To Encourage or not to Encourage

My teenager daughter loves to sing. And I think she has a lovely voice, but I'm her Mum, that's my job. My dilemma is that she has decided that she would like to pursue a career in singing. Now I'm wondering if she is (a) good enough (b) tough enough (c) determined and committed enough. I want to encourage her to follow her dreams but I also want to protect her from getting hurt (also my job). The entertainment industry is well known for chewing people up and spitting them out. She is so fragile at times and we have had a real battle with self worth and self esteem with her. I can't imagine the amount of knock backs she would get in that industry would be good for her. But who am I to say she can't follow her dream? If she has the courage to do so then I should be all for it. Right?

Why can't she settle for something safe and not far from home where people don't judge you on the way you look, sound, dress.

What I would really like is for someone to tell me if she is good enough. I mean I think she is, but like I said earlier, I'm her Mum.

There are no easy answers here.

Dear Lord, I pray that watch over my daughter and as she follows her dreams that you protect her and help her learn and grow. I pray that one day she can know the true joy of singing for your glory as I truly believe her voice is a gift from you.
Amen.

1 valued opinions!:

Julia Mitchell said...

Hi, I'm up on the Sunshine Coast mum to 3 and use to live in Port Lincoln in SA. I'm a christian and have been for a little while now but are always challenged on how to raise children in the world today. I have just helped to establish an encouragement foundation and would love if you would like to join with us in offering encouragement to others. Sorry I can't help you with your daughter I'm sure you will get a peace in your heart one way or the other. Our site is www.theencouragementfoundation.com.au