Tuesday, February 26, 2008

School Grrrrr

We have found out today through our kids that the year 10 math classes are being shifted around. Last week they all did a test, and on the basis of that test they are being sorted into two classes which the kids are calling "dumb maths" and "smart maths". I don't have an issue with the concept. I do have a problem with how its been handled. Why form two classes and then shuffle them half way through the term after a test? It's not very subtle. All of these kids were at this school in year 9. Couldn't they have looked at last years results and set the classes according to that? Of course the school isn't saying "dumb math" but you can be pretty damn sure the kids are.

The thing that is really making my blood boil is that Pink will be changing teachers. She has struggled with math so much in the past and this year she has a teacher who she connects with. She was so excited today to come home and tell me that she got an A. She's never had an A in math and what she was really excited about was that she understood. That was so important to her. I've not heard good things about the teaching skills of the teacher who will be taking her for math and Pink has now pretty much decided that she is dumb. So what's the point. I'm giving myself a saw jaw from the teeth I'm clenching as I write.

In year 8 Pink's class had 5 math teachers so the whole class pretty much just marked time. In year 9 the teacher couldn't control a batch of furry kittens much less a class on 14 year olds, so again she learned nothing. This year I had hope. I'm just so disappointed. Its just not fair. Stamps foot. Ow.

2 valued opinions!:

lightening said...

No it isn't fair!!! What a debacle. Poor kids. :( I hope things work themself out ?????

HisPrincess said...

As you can see from my later post things have worked out well for us, but still not for the ones who will be going into the "dumb" class. I feel a bit selfish but am quite relieved that she gets to stay with the competant teacher. She is delighted that the school thought her smart enough to tackle pure maths. Praise the Lord.