Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sheep

A new blogging friend of mine has made me think about sheep. Now, being sheep farmers its surprising how little I actually think about them. They frustrate me when DH asks me to help him get them into the yards (this is not a good exercise for a fragile marriage, which luckily ours isn't!) They annoy me when I'm driving to work and I find that some have strayed onto the road. They only do this when I'm running late of course.

I'm thinking I should look upon them with a little more respect. I mean, with cereal farming the way it is we have depended on wool sales to keep us viable in the past few years. And, contrary to popular belief, they aren't nearly as dumb as people think. Ok. Maybe thats a bit rash. They aren't quite as dumb as people think. No. Sorry. They are. Can't gloss over that one.

But my point is that I've never really considered them in the biblical sense. Losing their way, in need on constant protection. Its silly really, I've listened to them referred to in this way, I've read it in the bible but I've never really thought about it. Or drawn that obvious conclusion that I am a sheep myself.

So now I know a little of how you feel Lord. I'm sorry for all that frustration and angst that I have caused you by continually losing my way or just refusing to take the obvious and correct path (and believe me, sheep are REALLY good at that!). I can't promise that I'll stop it, but at least now I'm aware of it. Help me to be a wise sheep, if there is such a thing! Baa.

2 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

What a precious and dear friend you are!

My walk with the Lord has always focused on sheep and His creation and I am completely humbled that my relationship and understanding of who God is and how He leads me to share has given you a new revelation! Praise God ~ He is so good...

I must say that tears of overwhelming joy streamed down my face as I read your blog. To know that through my blog God has been glorified ~ I have not the words to properly express what I feel in my heart right now. Thank you Lord for using me to share and give one of your children a new understanding and greater insight into Your Word.

You have given me such a great measure of joy today, my friend.

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. Psalm 100

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! It's so true that sheep farming can give you a new appreciation of what God is saying in the bible. I.Am.Dumb. :) Thankfully God is a LOT more patient than I!