Friday, June 13, 2008

Something to look forward to

I decided earlier in the week that it would be a good idea to give Pink something to look forward to on the weekend.

So, with that in mind we have invited two wonderful families with teenage children to our place for tea on Saturday night, since we have no football/netball this week. Pink is really looking forward to it, and so will I, once I have the house tidy!

We have decided to have a camp oven tea. A camp oven is like a dutch oven, made of cast iron. You light a fire and once it has burned down to coals you dig a hole and put your camp oven inside, then let it slowly cook for about 5 hours. We are going to roast some lamb and chicken and vegetables in one camp oven, and in the other I'm planning on steaming a golden syrup pudding.

Being able to have a camp fire is one of the many benefits of living where we do. There is nothing quite like sitting around a fire on a cold night, toasting marshmallows and just catching up.

Hopefully it will do the trick, and give Pink a lift. The families we have invited are the parents of two of her dearest friends so she should have fun. And so should we!

I'm hoping to take photo's (if I remember) and post the whole camp oven process tomorrow.

But first.....I have to clean the house! Nothing like inviting guests to make you clean properly!

7 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

Hey Sharon - that sounds like such fun! I'd love to know what the golden syrup pudding is! Sounds yummy. I do love marshmallows, along with chocolate and graham crackers to make S'mores. What a great mom you are! Pink is sure to be blessed.

Have a wonderful weekend! And good luck on the house work. I try to have folks over now & again just so I do a good cleaning too.

Mana Laura said...

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog! I love that you read it and share!
This sounds like fun - I hope you all have a good time, especially your daughter!

Joanie said...

How wonderfully delightful! I can only imagine... Oh, if only I didn't live on the opposite side of the world from you!

I do hope you remember to take pictures, as I'm eager to see the 'process' and the final products!

May the house be cleaned quickly ~ perhaps everyone will pitch in and help. The weather forecast looks absolutely lovely for you. A perfect autumn evening with good friends (or is it winter there now?). I'm quite jealous!

I hope tea is a "healing dose of medicine" and brightens everyone's spirits ~ especially Pink's and yours! Have a wonderful time, my friend.

HisPrincess said...

Kelly, golden syrup is a little like treacle. It's a steamed pudding, absolutely delicious. What are graham crackers by the way?

Laura, thanks for dropping in. Your blog is such a blessing to me.

Joanie, I will do my very best to take lots of photo's. Yes it is winter here now, and I'm pleased about the forecast too.

agrantham81 said...

Mmmmm YUMM Golden Syrup Pudding, made me hungry (and the way I feel at the minute thats a big acheivement).
Pink is lucky that you will do that for her.

HisPrincess said...

Well...lets be honest here! I'm not doing it just for her! Golden syrup pudding is my favourite!

Anonymous said...

I hope you all have a wonderful evening tonight. I expect it'll be GREAT!!! :)