Friday, June 20, 2008

Forgotten...

Many of us here on Eyre Peninsula are feeling a bit forgotten by our state and federal governments.

The government has come up with a new Community Health plan which will see our hospital downgraded to not much more than a first aid station and which will make it even more difficult to attract and retain a doctor. This would also mean that we would have to travel to Port Lincoln or Whyalla for any accidents, emergencies, serious illness and child birth. That's an hour and a half away. It could just be me, but I think if my husband (heaven forbid) had a farming accident, or if my son came off his motorbike (again)that having to travel 90 minutes to seek help is a little unreasonable.

And it's not just health that is under fire. Our school is also under attack. The government wants to change the staffing arrangements and scrap their previous promise that class sizes wouldn't exceed 27. The average class size at our school is currently 30 and the government now wants to take this agreement away entirely, which could see classes climb up to 35. Blind Freddy can see that this is not an ideal environment for our children to learn. Our teachers recently went on strike about this issue, and the fact that South Australian teachers are on the second lowest wage in the country. The media, of course, reported that the teachers went on strike because they want more money without commenting on any of the other issues.

Add to that the fact that our church is about to lose it's minister and I have to say that I'm feeling like people have forgotten that South Australia doesn't finish at Adelaide.

Logically I know that we will be fine. We always are. If there is one thing that we are good at it's standing up and fighting for what we believe in, and fight we will. It just makes me a bit cross, so I figured a good old fashioned rant would make me feel better.

And it has. So thankyou for listening!

Lord, thankyou for this wonderful community that I live in. Please watch over our government officials and influence the decisions that they make in regards to the people in the country. Please help us be heard, and help the policy makers come up with an equitable way to resolve the conflicts we are currently experiencing. Also I pray for our church community. I pray that we will find a new minister to join us soon, but if that isn't to be I pray that our congregation can pull together and fill the void.

4 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

Lord God ~ I pray you hear the cry of the people of Eyre Peninsula. May You provide for their hospital care and education needs. May they not feel like they are a forgotten people. Lord, first the drought and now these possibilities before them. It's hard to be strong, Lord, when everything around us seems to be crumbling. And yet, we know that you know the number of hairs upon each one of our heads. You have promised never to leave us or forsake us. Lord, I pray, in Jesus' mighty and precious name, that the people of this area will come before you, pray and seek Your face. That you will hear the cry of their voices. That many will turn to you and call you Lord. That you will hear them and speak to them; reassure them, comfort them and fill them with your peace (that surpasses all understanding) and they will KNOW that you are with them and will provide for every need. I pray they will sing praises to your name in the midst of these challenges and they will sing even more gloriously about the ways that you answer... We know Your love endures forever.

I'm praying, my friend.

HisPrincess said...

Thankyou Joanie. I will continue to pray also. I know that the Lord will provide, and that whatever happens is all part of His plan for us.

Joanie said...

It doesn't make it any easier in the day-to-day of everything though... We know in our minds what His Word says, but it takes our heart so much longer to really believe it (at least it does for me).

HisPrincess said...

I'm hearing you there Joanie!