Friday, April 11, 2008

Worship Leading

April is my rostered month to be the worship leader at church. I look forward to my worship leading months. It's not just the leading that I love, but the preparation. I have a lovely time with preparing the power point presentations, the verses and readings and planning what I am going to say.

I have a bit of a dilemma though. As a worship leader I don't say much. I'm just not confident that what I've got to say is good enough, or meaningful enough to bring to the table. So, I tend to just introduce the songs, and every now and then if the song means something to me I might share that but that's about it. I want to be a great worship leader, I want people to be able to see the Lord working through me, I want to feel the Lord working in me.

Hmmm. I think I may have a problem here. I just said I want three times. It's not about what I want is it. Perhaps I need to shift my focus here.

Lord, help me to lead the congregation in worship this month. I pray that my leading can be all about you Lord, and that I will have the confidence and faith to be transparent about how I feel about You. Help me to remember that I am your instrument, help me to allow myself to be used for your glory.

8 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

Great post and you hit the bullseye on the target! Do you know the song by Michael W. Smith ~ The Heart of Worship? (I'm sure you do...) It's what I hear your heart saying thorugh your post.

We all desire to be good at what we're passionate about ~ it's a human response. God is doing an amazing work in your heart, because He's helped you see that He wants more of you and you really want more of Him seen through you!

When we humble ourselves before Him and seek Him with a true heart wanting to bring glory to His name, He is faithful and answers the prayers of His children. Seek Him, run after Him, surround yourself with Him, worship Him and allow yourself to be filled to overflowing with His love. He created you to worship Him, so do what comes naturally. Don't worry about what to say, because as your relationship with Him grows and continues to mature ~ He will give you the words to share (your heart will just know).

I'm praying for you. How is the laryngitis doing?

His love and mine ~ Joanie

lightening said...

I'll second what Joanie said (she put it much better than I would have). :)

Remember, God works in spite of us....it all it takes is a willing heart and he can do the rest.

Have fun on Sunday. I'll be thinking of you. :)

HisPrincess said...

Lightening:Yes Joanie does have a gift for putting what is in her heart into words doesn't she! Thanks for your encouragement.

Joanie: As you have probably guessed "Heart of Worship" is another of my favourites. Michael W Smith writes some great songs doesn't he? Thankyou for your prayers and encouragement. I tend to get caught up in wanting to do a great job, and worship leading is something that is easy to get caught up in and forget why you are there. I pray that doesn't happen to me and that I can do God's will.
The laryngitis is getting better and although I've lost the "croak" I still have no control over where my voice is going! But thats ok, singing is only a part of leading and I still get to do the planning which I also love. Luckily we have lots of talent and finding someone to stand in for the singing part isn't an issue.

Jenny said...

That is the truth I think many times we all struggle with that.

I'll be praying that God will give you exactly the right words to say and that they will be so much power to them that you can't help but share them!

Blessings,
Jen

Katie said...

Sharon: My heart tugged when I read your comment about not knowing what to say or that it may not be good enough. I have the same issue with praying aloud in groups. I pray that God will put your heart into words either in song or aloud during the worship time. I am truly in awe of your gift of worship and the ability to get up in front of others and share yourself and convey the presence of God through the Worship.

HisPrincess said...

Thankyou Jenny and Kate.

Your prayers and ecouragement mean a lot.

I know what you mean Kate. It's the praying in front of and on behalf of the congregation that I really struggle with. I don't want to get it wrong, and I'm a bit self conscious about it. Deep down I really don't think I'm qualified, I mean as far as righteousness goes, I fall pretty short. Singing is easy, I have no problem with that, it is just pure joy.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Joanie said...

Dearest Sharon ~

You are such a dear, sweet woman! It's not the words you say or how you say them, it's what is in your heart that counts the most. Even when we stumble, God knows exactly what you meant to say - so there is nothing to worry about. I've told myself that in whatever I do - small social circle or large group - it's all to an "audience" of One. It's what God thinks that matters to me, not anyone else. He knows your heart. He loves you. He redeemed you. He formed you in your mother's womb and knows the number of hairs upon your head. He knows your strengths and weaknesses. He blessed you with gifts and talents. He gave you a voice to lead others in worship to Him. So pray, sing and worship Him for you are His child and He loves you more than you will ever know.

"Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious! Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of His praise be heard." Psalm 66:1-2, 8

And, please forgive me for not responding to your e-mails. I'll try to do so tomorrow evening... You are on my heart and I'm praying for you. I'm excited to see how God is working in special people's lives! His love endures forever.

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Joanie.

That's ok about the emails. I know how busy you are at the moment.

It's more important for you to get the rest you need and look after yourself than to reply to my emails in the middle of the night!

Blessings,
Sharon