Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Grumpy Farmers

I'm allowed to call them grumpy. I'm one of them, so it's my perrogative!

Yesterday on the ABC radio show "The Country Hour", which Fisherman listens to religiously they said it would rain overnight. And did it rain? No. It blew a gale. We now have a great deal of the top soil from our paddocks on the kitchen floor (because someone forgot to shut the window, oops). So, not only did it not rain, but it blew and blew and blew. If there is one thing that upsets farmers more than no rain, it's no rain AND a gale force wind to erode your dry paddocks.

But there is an up side. As there always is if you look hard enough. This morning it has been raining. At least it is raining here in town. I've thought about ringing home to see if it is raining there, but I dare not, just in case it isn't.

We are really starting to see the ramifications of this drought on the farming families in our district now. I had coffee with a dear friend yesterday who has just started taking anti depressants. She is more worried for the wellbeing of her husband than herself, but I pointed out that she needs to get herself right first, before she is able to help anyone else. They are a wonderful God loving family, they were in our wedding, we were in theirs. It breaks my heart to see them suffering. It's not fair. Sulk. Pout. Whinge. Complain.

Ok, that's enough of the "why us" complaining. We are all allowed to indulge in a little self pity every now and then.

Lord, I pray for an emphatic break in this drought. I pray for the wellbeing of this community, and for all other communities around Australia who are suffering. Our towns are dying, our resolve is weakening. Please help us to keep our eyes, and our minds and our hearts on you, because that is the only place we will find healing and peace.

4 valued opinions!:

Unknown said...

Hi!
thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I see you are in Australia. I'm a hairstylist and one of my clients is from Australia. She brings me mags of Australian Women's Weekly. I love seeing the beauty of the land and seeing a bit of a different culture.
I'd be curious to know how you found me...
Be blessed.
angeljoy

Jenny said...

I'm praying for you all to have rain, and rain very soon! Alot of rain!

I know how scary it was/is here with very little rain!

Thanks for your sweet words on Lauren yesterday!

Have a great night!
Jen

Joanie said...

Oh goodness me...

How I pray the Lord provides "springs and rivers of living water" in your area of South Australia ~ not only to rejuvinate and revive the soil, but also to restore and refresh the lives of all the farm families!

I am praying for RAIN! Oh Lord, let it rain, let it rain, open the floodgates of heaven ~ let it rain... on Sharon's farm community in South Australia ~ revive the land and the people Lord, in Jesus' precious, mighty and wonderful name ~ Amen and amen.

HisPrincess said...

Hi Angeljoy, I found you through Jenny's blog, and just loved your sense of humour. I look forward to visiting often!

Jenny, thanks for your prayers. We are having a special service at church this week to bless the sowing of our crops, which will take place as soon as it rains.

Thanks so much Joanie, your prayers are always wonderful. Love the new picture!