Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday Sport

Saturdays are a busy day for the Bates family. We are all involved in some way in our local netball and football competition. Each Saturday morning we all get up and get organised for a whole day out.


My day startes with a cup of tea and toast with honey. Hopefully this spring I will be eating toast with our very own Bates farm honey!

Then I pack a basket of snacks and lunch. One thermos of tea and one of soup, and one very special travel mug from Seattle!

Of course not all the family get up and get organised! Some of us prefer to stay in bed...

Then the car is packed with the lunch basket, my netball bag, Scott's football bag and Kym's umpiring bag (Steph didn't come with us this week, she went with her boyfriend Dale, whose team we were playing against).
This week we played our games at Port Neill, about 40km from home along this dirt road. As you can see we had a lovely sunny winters day. Hardly a cloud in the sky.

We usually arrive in time to see the youngest team of footballers just finishing their game. Scott heads over to the change rooms to get ready for his game, Kym and I settle in to watch with morning tea and a cuppa. Today morning tea was crackers, Havarti cheese and plum paste. I've got a real thing for cheese and plum paste at the moment....think I might try fig paste next!

Here is Scott with his team mates warming up before the game. Really they are all just mucking about with the footy, but officially it's known as the warm up!

Scott had an exceptional game today, kicking 6 goals. If you look closely in this photo you can see him about to get his face ridden into the ground! He had just kicked a goal so he got up pretty quickly, the pain is never as bad when you've just kicked a goal!

I didn't see all of Scott's game because it was time for me to head over to the netball courts for our game. That's me with the ball, about to pass it. Steph is on the left.
After my game it's time for me to put a white shirt over my uniform and become the umpire for the next game.

Then it's time to head back to the car for a late lunch and watch the last half of the senior football. That's Dale, Steph's boyfriend on the right, thinking about getting involved! This is the team that Kym umpires but he was too far away for me to get a picture of, and I was too tired to walk!



All in all it was a pretty successful day for us. The whole family was involved in a winning team, except Dale and that's fine since he plays for the opposition!



So, now it's time for a quiet evening in front of the fire. Need to get my power point presentation organised for worship leading tomorrow.










9 valued opinions!:

Skoots1moM said...

i bet you are tired...
fun day!
blessings :)

Leah Adams said...

Sounds like a wonderful day to me.

Leah

HisPrincess said...

It's a great day out when the weather is fine. A couple of weeks ago we had to contend with really strong winds. Not fun. Especially when you are a farmer and you are watching your top soil being eroded away!

We don't mind playing in the rain though!

Edie said...

Looks like you have fun and busy
Saturdays! So are you growing bees now? And just how do you safely get the honey out of the hives?

Our cultural and language differences made me chuckle. My first thought when I clicked over here was "They drink milk from a cup?" Oh that was TEA! LOL.

So I'm thinking I'm on track when you mention morning tea, only to discover that it's not tea at all but a snack! So what is a cuppa?

Your beautiful winter day looks quite similar to the beautiful late Spring days we're having here. I couldn't help but wonder what the temperature was there.

Is fruit paste kind of like jam or jelly?

Yay for all of you for winning!! Well... most of you. :)

I enjoyed your day!

HisPrincess said...

Hi Eadie, yes you are right. Morning tea is a mid morning snack. A cuppa is a cup of coffee, tea, coco, whatever!

Plum paste is kind of like a jam but not sweetened, is great with cheese platters.

Kym will have the bees in their new hives this weekend sometime. My Dad is coming to visit and he's experienced with bees...as to how you get the honey out? The hives have trays in them where the bees build their honey comb. To extract the honey you put the trays into a honey extractor (which is a kind of stainless steel drum) which spins the tray and removes the honey. To remove the tray without getting stung Kym will wear protective clothing and use a bee smoker. Blowing smoke at bees calms them down and makes them docile. Kym says the most important thing is to remain calm yourself as they sense you panicking. So obviously I won't bee going anywhere near them!

Joanie said...

All is good in the world... Was such a blessing to my heart and soul to peek into your day. What a delightful gift for this friend ~ far, far away!

See it's not that hard to take the camera along and take pictures. Love, love, love ALL the pictures! 2 pictures of you in the same blog entry? Will wonders never cease ~ ;) Just wish I could have been there to experience the day with you ~ photos will have to do for now...

Lovely to see you had a fantastic Saturday ~ full, but satisfying. Continuing to pray for rain. Hope your Sunday was also blessed and a time to be refreshed.

Yay for photos and you! You made me smile from ear-to-ear! I needed that too. Thank you, dear friend!

P.S. Don't forget to take pictures of the "bee set-up" and your Dad! Have you read the book "Secret Life of Bees" or seen the movie. (Book is better, but movie is done quite well. More about the bee part of life in the book.)

HisPrincess said...

Hmmm, no I haven't read that book or seen that movie.

I will definately get the camera out on the weekend and take photos of the bee set up! So long as they don't do it on Saturday morning while I am at work!

My family is becoming more tolerant of me poking a camera in their face. I tell them it's for Joanie!

Joanie said...

:D ...followed by a good belly laugh! I love you all dearly, but you especially!

Joanie said...

Lunch box baking?

I feel another blog entry coming upon you... It may be an everyday task to you, but I've never heard the expression in the U.S. ~ care to enlighten us?! (with pics, of course.)