Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Giving it to God

As many of you know I am the mother of a highly strung, high maintenance, talented, flighty, moody, difficult and beautiful teenage daughter.

Parenting this beautiful young woman has been a roller coaster ride. One filled with worry, doubt, tears, joy, pride and did I mention worry?

I worry about whether or not she will be happy. Whether she will find someone to love her and cherish her. Whether she will be ok when she leaves home. Whether she will ever be able to stand on her own two feet.

And then I worry that I worry too much. And try to protect her too much. And get in the way of her spreading her wings.

I had a bit of an idea this morning, when browsing blog land.

I know this is not big news to some, but I'm a pretty slow learner.

I could hand it all over to God.

He has her back. She doesn't often recognise His existence, but He loves her anyway.

Well....that sure is a load off my mind!

Lord, thankyou for giving Stephanie life, and for the many gifts and talents you gave her. Thankyou for giving her to me, and for the lessons I have learned through being her Mum. Thankyou for our close relationship, I pray for that to continue.

I committ Stephanie to your care Lord. I pray that she will follow your direction and reach the potential that we both know she can, and that everything she does will be for your glory.

8 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

Gorgeous picture of Stephanie and loving portrayal of a beautiful mother's heart...

You are a good mum, Sharon!

Not knowing the future is really hard, but all we can do is pray for them, teach them, guide them, love them, laugh with them, cry with them, experience life together, pray for them some more ~ knowing that one day they will spread their wings and fly. It may be a wonderful time or it may be a challenging time, but you've planted good seeds in her life and you must trust the great Gardener to tend this beautiful flower and watch her bloom!

I'm a worrier too, but am trying to hand it over to God more often and not try to take it back again...

I love you dear friend!

HisPrincess said...

Now you see, that's what I worry about the most...have I planted good enough seeds?

Joanie said...

UGH......! :P

Repeat (many times) what our yoga teacher has us say at the end of every yoga practice session: "I've done my best. I leave the rest."

You've done your best. That's all any of us can do.

Well, I'm off to bed. Have a wonderful afternoon and evening. Wish you were here and the rain was there!

Leah Adams said...

She is so beautiful. Just keep turning her over to Him. Do it daily or hourly or moment by moment--whatever it takes because He is faithful. I'm a worrier too. I can sympathize.

Leah

Anonymous said...

She is SO beautiful, and God's got her back, as you say, AND he's blessed her with a Mum who cares and is devoted. I'd say she's on a good path...

My ADHD Me said...

HOLY CANOLI!! She's Gorgeous!!

And I do know what you mean about the worrying. ALL THE TIME! I need to try to take your advise!

Joanie said...

Everything okay over there... You've been pretty quiet for several days now! Just checking in with you. :)

I've been away from my blog a little, as the sun is shining ~ and will continue for several days to come and we're making the most of it in the garden! Will try to post soon ~ been taking pictures... Raspberries in tomorrow and lots of WEEDING!

Hugs and love to you!

HisPrincess said...

Joanie: Yes everything is ok. Just busy and tired!

Leah: Great advice. I will try to remember to committ her to the Lord more often. I don't do it enough being the control freak that I am.

Mary: I don't think I will ever be able to stop worrying. The fact that I worry about worrying is a worry!

Naomi: Im finding the scariest thing about parenting teens is being confident in your own teaching. Feeling that you've done enought.