Friday, May 8, 2009

Teenage Music

At the risk of sounding really, really old I going to say that isn't the music our teens listen to awful?

Not all of it is awful, occasionally you will hear a song that has a real singer, and uses instruments. But there is a whole lot of absolute rubbish.

And with technology today that rubbish is getting more and more difficult to filter.

Both my children are very passionate about music, and are forever making new CD's to listen to in the car.

Kym has now made a rule about these CD's. He has told the kids that any music CD in his CD player in his car that contains any swearing will be broken and thrown out.

They went along with that for a while.

Then it was necessary to make a new rule. Kym told them that any CD containing music that is derrogatory to women (yes, I'm talking about you Eminem), or to any person at all (now we are including 50 Cent, Bliss n Esso, and numerous other revolting rappers) then that CD will also be snapped.

This new rule comes into play tomorrow.

Should be an interesting trip to the footy!

I'm really pleased that Kym has made this kind of stand. Sometimes I feel that Iam always the bad guy, or the "fun police" as my daughter so eloquently puts it.

I really appreciate the support he gives with trying to raise these two ferals into decent human beings. I'm so glad I don't have to do it alone. I salute anyone who does.

3 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

I understand! and then I recall my parents never understanding my music either.... not that I ever listened to it loudly or when someone was talking to me...

We also try to monitor our kids music closely.... and have even asked the kids to print out the lyrics to chat over with them at times.... "what goes in must come out"

Just because the beat is good doesnt mean its good for the ears!

From Lynette - another fun police!

Lelia Chealey said...

Love this! Break them in both the car and the house. Our kids pushed us on this and I finally scratched and broke a whole case of cd's I found containing rap that made your hair curl,but instead of throwing them away,I just put them back in the case for our child to find. Hasn't brought trash back in the house since. :)
Got to protect our homes and their hearts....Satan is stealing too much ground!

Leah Adams said...

Sharon,

I am so understanding about irrational fears, but they are fears nonetheless and I adore you for admitting it. That is half the battle, really, admitting our fear. Just putting it out there for honestly before the Lord. Now, I bet He will give you a verse that just splatters assurance all over you. Ask Him for it!

Love ya,

leah