Friday, May 15, 2009

The South Australian Bag Ban



As of Monday May 4th it has become illegal for stores in South Australia to supply single use plastic bags (you know, those flimsy, thin, stupid bags that get holes in them and spill your groceries all over the road).

We were warned that this was coming months and months ago.

We have been bombarded with advertising. Telling us not to forget our green bags (although most of mine are pink).

Today I had spare time in my lunch hour so thought I'd do the grocery shoppingNo bags.

Luckily our grocer supplies cardboard boxes for the air heads like me who just can't seem to remember to put the bags back in the car! Simple enough concept wouldn't you think? Apparently not simple enough for me.

It's funny though. I purchased my green bags when they first came out. Thought it was a fabulous idea. But still resorted to plastic whenever I forgot my green bags. I think our Government has got it right for a change. By banning them, we are forced to use alternatives. We simply have no choice. Now even the forgetful people like me aren't using single use plastic bags.

Groceries aside...what do other people use for other shopping items? Like when you go to the chemist and get scripts filled, plus a new lipstick, deoderant etc. I end up juggling it all in my hands because I have enough trouble remembering my green bags for groceries. I have no hope of remembering to take one with me everytime I walk into a shop! Perhaps I need to take my Grandma's lead and tow around one of those little trolley's with wheels! Could you imagine? Stephanie wouldn't be seen with me! Which could probably save me a lot of money...hmmmm...the idea has merit!

The only down side to the banning of these plastic bags is that now I'm buying bags to line my kitchen rubbish bin. That's what I used to use my single use bags for, so they weren't single use after all.

6 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

Bags bags bags.... arent those green bags so delightfull? They fill the car boot and fly all over the place and I never know how many I will need on a food shop! So I put them all into a bigger bag and hang it from the hooks near the kiddy seat on the trolley and just kick it with my legs as I walk along aimlessly! LOL And generally I have just enough to cover the load...

I got caught the other night when I made a dash to Coles for one item (I needed more coconut milk because I spiced the curry way too much) and ended up buying 5 other items but luckily I could juggle them in my arms... I deserved it!

I generally carry one of those nylon fold up bags (that fold up to the size of a small choco bar) in my hand bag for those little shops... but it is sooo hard to remember to return it back into my handbag once I get home... I'd never want to be caught with a pack of tampons and nowhere to put them!LOL!

You are not alone in your thoughts but we will get used to it.... the shops will make money out of selling bags to the forgetful ones won't they?

What do others think?

Lynette from Adelaide

Anonymous said...

It's becoming more normal to remember to take a bag with me whereever I go.

Leah Adams said...

Oh my goodness, I have no idea what we in America would do without plastic grocery bags. I cannot even imagine it. However, I do miss the days of paper grocery bags. I loved them for some strange reason. yes, I think strange is a good word to define me.

Leah

Lightening said...

I have so many of those cloth bags now that I can forget to put them back in the car for weeks and still have enough!!!! Problem is when DH decides he needs the room in the boot and brings the HUGE Target bag inside and forgets to put it back in.

I actually think this will be good for consumers and bad for shops. Less impulse buying cos no bag to put it in. Although eventually I think we'll just get desensitised the the added cost of buying another bag. Eventually I think we'll have a heap of cloth and polypropylene bags in landfill instead...

I recently bought a few more of these http://www.ecosilkbags.com.au and try to keep at least 1 in my handbag at all times for "emergencies". They're so light and compact yet still very sturdy.

P.S. I don't know what we're going to do once we run out of our current stash of plastic bags. I use them to bag bread for the freezer and for rubbish etc.

Anonymous said...

The ecosilk bags are great! I use one all the time for just about everything. But if it ever happened that plastic bags were gone from QLD for good, I would miss them for all the things I do use them for... they are rather handy for bin liners and bagging dirty/wet clothes at the beach/pool/river... I could go on... but I'm all for looking after our beautiful country.

I've loved catching up on all your posts. Boris is a scream, tucking himself up like that - I swear some animals think they are part human!!! And good decision and advice re the man in need of a friend; sometimes we know the answer to our questions even before we ask them, but asking them provides us with the opportunity to unload some burdons, sort out some issues, and think more clearly and with convicton. All he needs from you is prayer. You've come too far to have risked the possibilty of some kind of attachment. Love and hugs to you!!! Naomi x

Joanie said...

I love my reusable bags! I have different bags for the different groceries stores I shop at ~ PCC, Whole Foods, Fred Meyer. I have plenty so there are normally many in my car. However, I get frustrated because the 2 or 3 bags designated for Blaine's car never seem to be there when they are needed. It's good that I have a portable bag that I keep in my purse. It's come in handy many a time!

We use kitchen trash bags that are made from recycled plastic AND I use biodegradable bags (designed for small kitchen compost bins) for the bathroom garbage cans...

And yes, there are times when I juggle a few items (or more) when no bag can be found. :D