Monday, May 18, 2009

What went wrong?

I was sitting in church yesterday, listening to my father in law give the sermon and I was moved to tears.

Not particularly by his sermon, although his words did send me along the thought process that upset me.

My father in law is a wonderful man. He is kind. He is giving. He loves his children unconditionally (and trust me, I KNOW all his children...that is no small thing!). He is a Godly man.

In his sermon yesterday he spoke about guiding our young people, and reminisced about how he was guided as a young member of this very church.

That got me thinking.

How much must it hurt him that all but one of his children have turned away from the Lord? They were brought up in a Christian home. They all went to church as a family. They prayed together. They were directed in the path they should go. And yet all but one rejected it.

My parents in law love the Lord with all their heart. They are wonderful caring people, who lead by example. I felt a new empathy for them as we sat in church together. I complain about my husband not wanting to come to church with me. But it's their son. I used to feel that they were blaming me for his non attendance, but I've come to realise that they don't ask his whereabouts to make me feel bad. They genuinely want to know how he is, because they love him. Gee, that only took me 17 years to work out!

It's not fair! Pout. Whine. Complain.

Lord, I pray that Kym will one day come to accept you into his heart fully and completely. I get the feeling that he is skirting around the edges at times. I pray that he will committ his life to you with all his mind, body and spirit.

6 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Keep praying, Sharon. The Holy Spirit never ceases to call. You have no idea what is really going on in Kym's head. He may be closer than you know.

Leah

HisPrincess said...

You know thats the most frustrating thing. Sometimes I sense that he is so close, and other times I feel completely hopeless.

You are right of course. Keep praying.

Kelly said...

And STOMP your feet! You deserve to be upset that your hubby doesn't come to church. Keep praying. After 12 yrs my husband is finally attending Sunday school with me (he's always gone to 1 hr of church). This is HUGE! And it came after I gave up. But God never did. :-)

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Kelly.

Sometimes I get really disheartened. I know his parents are praying for the same thing as me, I have given up and put it on the back burner many times.

Edie said...

I just prayed with you Sharon. Remember that you don't know the thoughts and questions he may have that only God can answer.

Joanie said...

Continuing to pray with you dear friend!

I must admit that when I read this it struck a chord with me (though a little different situation) ~ and I think it's every Christian parent's painful question when their children choose a different path or go a way that was not expected. And yet, we place our trust in Christ alone ~ who is able to transform our lives "little by little" each day. And none of us can see what is happening "behind the curtain" of other's lives. And a parent never quits praying for their child ~ believing, one day, that their prayers will be answered.

I will stand with you and keep praying ~ believing.

Have you seen "Faith like Potatoes"? Just watched it last night... wow!