Monday, May 25, 2009

Bzzzzz

I am married to a man who needs to have a project on the go most of the time.

He loves to fish, but with our freezer overflowing he can't fish all the time, and the weather this time of year doesn't really lean toward fishing.

He has built a big beautiful aviary for our rainbow lorikeets and has learned how to keep the conditions perfect for them so they breed and are happy and healthy.

We have a wonderful vegetable garden with seasonal veggies each year. He pickles vegetables, makes tomato sauce and chutney and finds ways to use the vegetables he grows each season.

Now Kym has discovered a new passion.

Bees.

My husband (who is mildly allergic I might add) has decided he wants to keep bees.

And when he decides he is going to do something, he does it. No holds barred. Boots and all. Full commitment.

I happened to mention this to my Dad (who used to keep bees) and I didn't bargain for his reaction. He is so excited. He is a mine of information and can't wait to share. He wants to know if we will have our hives moved into boxes by the next time he visits so he can come "play" (and yes, that's exactly what he said!) with the bees. Excuse me? Play? Am I missing something here? Do bees sit down and play monopoly? Or tennis maybe? How does one "play" with bees?

You know what. I've made a huge discovery in all this. My husband the project man, is a lot like my father the project man. Good grief. I seem to have married my father.

One thing I do know. The excitement, researching and talking about bees has taken Kym's mind off the fact that we have been unable to finish sowing because it's become too dry. And that can't "bee" a bad thing.

So, stay tuned. Sometime in the spring we will beecome honey producers!

7 valued opinions!:

Lelia Chealey said...

Oh my goodness, will this be anywhere near your house??
I've watched some shows on Discovery channel and bees are really fascinating. Ants too. lol...


Hey, thank you for all of the sweet encouragement you leave me. You have no idea how you filled up my heart this morning when I read what you wrote. Had a very tough time as of late so your "hug" from Australia was just what I needed. You are such a blessing...thank you!

Joanie said...

Wiggling and doing a happy dance for Kym in celebration of his new project! Yay!

I'm delighted and fascinated and want to keep a small hive in our backyard. It's become a new hobby for us "urban farmers" in the U.S. (plus helping to encourage the bee population that seems to keep getting hit by the bee colony disorder...)

What a delightful new way to earn income too. I shall pray for the honey production to be a profitable business for all of you AND for rain to come your way ~ steady, living water, heal your land kind of rain! Please Lord Jesus, come and bless their land in S. Australia...

Okay ~ you must start using your camera more often, my friend. I want to see pictures of the birds, and the garden, and your family (Kym canning), the tractor, the sheep, and the bees (hives), your Mum and Dad, the simple, everyday life stuff... All of you! Love pictures! Love you too. Glad you're feeling improved and hope Stephanie is too. :)

HisPrincess said...

Lelia: No it won't be anywhere near the house. They will be out in a paddock. We have one paddock in particular that we have planted hundreds of native flowering trees so that will be a good home for them! Definately NOT near the house!

Joanie: You made Stephanie laugh out loud picturing you wiggling and doing your happy dance! She wants to come visit you!

What is this bee colony disorder? I don't think we have anything like that. We have four hives of bees near our house which we plan to move into boxes. Definately no shortage of bees around here!

I will try to take more photos! It's just not something I think of doing!

We had rain on the weekend, so sowing has begun again today. Praying for follow up rain to give the crop a good start.

Joanie said...

http://honeybee.tamu.edu/ccd/index.html

Here's some information about the colony collapse disorder...

I'd love to have both of you visit ~ especially you ~ but Stephanie would be fun too!

I've never been great with the camera until I started a blog... You'll get there! ;)

Continuing to pray for rain ~ please Lord "let it rain" on South Australia and bless them with an abundant harvest this year!

HisPrincess said...

Yes! And an abundant harvest (or maybe two!) would mean that we could go visit Joanie!

Joanie said...

Yes, Lord! Please let it be so... And, I'd love to visit Sharon if You'd enable me to fly once again.

HisPrincess said...

Wouldn't that be something?

I'd love to take you to our little church, and to our beach, and I'm sure Lightening would have a thing or two to show you as well!

And how I would love to experience a city like Seattle. We don't have a city in Australia anywhere close to that size. And Stephanie wants to know is Grays Anatomy really filmed there? Is Seattle Grace a real hospital?