Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Unwelcome Guest

It's almost summer.


One sure sign that summer is just around the corner (apart from obvious things like the calendar and the weather!) are visitors like this one.

This is just a brown snake. Not a notorious King Brown. They are about twice as long and fat and deadly. But still. Even a common brown snake sends a shiver up my spine.

A common brown snake can still put you in hospital, just not likely to kill you. Which is comforting. Not.

This one didn't survive it's visit to our garden. We don't kill snakes on the road, or out in the paddock, but when they are knocking on your back door, well, that's just not on!

7 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

Now I admit that I was *petting* a snake at the zoo on Saturday, BUT, I wouldn't want to find it slithering around in my backyard either! Yikes!

Joanie said...

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! You are terrible! I should have known when you left me an 'enticing' comment on my blog to BEWARE... Ugh. I hate snakes. Now, I have the 'heebeegeebees' and the 'willy nillies' ~ strange shivers going up and down my spine. Oh, I just couldn't imagine dealing with snakes in the garden... :p Yuck, yuck and more yuck. So glad you 'finished it off' ~ though I'm with you and if it just stayed out of your yard, you'd be fine with it.

And this is a regular thing? Guess, I shouldn't come visit in the summer, huh?! ;)

I think the worst one might find around here is a common garden snake (pretty small) and it wouldn't hurt you, but try to get away. And, I've haven't seen one in years!

What a lovely 'picture' to have in my head as I get ready for bed! Oh yes, sweet dreams...

Anonymous said...

They're enough to disturb and upset and take baby chicks and their mams, so I'm all for finishing them off! Snakes have never worried me to look at, but I'm not keen to get up close and pesonal...

Glad the parcel arrived. Naomi

sailorcross said...

Okay!!! Enough snakes!! One is one too many!! I don't know what it is about snakes, but they really scare me--even a picture of one!!

I'm glad that you're braver than me!!

Beth

My ADHD Me said...

I'm with you! If there is a snake in the yard, it is time to find the axe!

Snakes and Kangaroos and summer starting in October. (we have snakes of course...little 12 inch garden snakes and little 6 inch green snakes...do they even count/) It's so interesting how different things are ....yet so alike too.

HisPrincess said...

Yes, well, Australia has lots of species of bitey things. Snakes, spiders, crocs, wild pigs, sharks, stingrays, jelly fish, stingers.

I grew up in far north QLD and we weren't allowed to swim outside the nets for fear of the box jellyfish. Very very very nasty. Indescribably nasty.

But still...come visit! LOL! I should write a tourism blog!

Leah Adams said...

The only good snake is a dead snake!!! Oh, I get hysterical when I see a snake slithering around. They just freak me out!!

Glad that one didn't make it out alive!!

Leah