Thursday, October 16, 2008

On the road again...

We are off again for the weekend tomorrow. At a RIDICULOUS hour of the morning I might add. How plans change!

When Kym and I were invited to my cousin's wedding in Adelaide we thought "great, a chance for a nice weekend away together, maybe see a movie, go out to dinner, spot of shopping". So I booked nice acommodation (with a spa ;)) and we planned to wander over to Adelaide taking our time on Friday in time to be able to relax and enjoy each others company before the wedding on Saturday.

Then we received a bit of an unexpected windfall, and Kym thought maybe we should leave early in the morning as now we have enough money saved to buy ourselves a camper trailer. We are avid campers and have been erecting a tent for a very long time while our friends just flip out their camper trailer. Ok. No problem, just means we don't get to have that sleep in on Friday morning.

Then Princess Stephanie suggests that maybe we could take her with us, since she too has enough money saved to buy herself a small car. She pointed out that it would be a good opportunity to look at lots of cars as we don't go to Adelaide very often, and she wants to buy her car as soon as possible (before she is tempted to spend her savings!).

So. This means to look at both camper trailers AND small cars we would need at least the entire day in Adelaide on Friday. Considering it's a 5 and a half hour drive that means leaving at around 4am. Did you get that 4AM!

We thought about leaving tonight and staying about half way, but really, that's just $150 on accommodation that we don't need to spend. So 4am it is.

Instead of a leisurely day spent shopping and eating in nice cafes we are looking at car yards and caravan places. Sigh.

And instead of nice quiet romantic evenings, we have a teenager with us.

You know what they say about the best laid plans!

9 valued opinions!:

lightening said...

Ooh...how excitement!!! Have fun! Maybe not "romantic" but buying a camper trailer will be great.

How do you ever get ready for your child to be old enough to buy a car???? That sounds very scary. Will she look for a pink one? :)

Anonymous said...

I think I have only been lurking so it's time for a proper introduction. I'm Beverlydru and I am happy to meet you! Sounds like a fun weekend- different but good family time. (All except for the 4 AM part)

Kelly said...

Oh dear - I feel bad for you. I would have gone with plan A for sure. SPA!?!?!?!? I am so there. I think you should tell Kym & Steph to drop you at the Spa for the day while they go car/winnabego shopping. :D

My ADHD Me said...

4:00 AM!!
4AM!!!
FOUR AM!!!
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the car shopping. It will be such a nice relaxing feeling when you watch her drive off on her own....ok, not.

I'm not a camper. (or a truck or a school bus for that matter).
Anyway, I'm not a camper, but I know lots of people enjoy it.
I enjoy SPA's though.
At least I think I do.
Don't think I've ever been to one but I'm sure I would enjoy it.

4:00 AM!!!! UGH!!!!

Leaon Mary said...

Hey there!
I'm a lurker too.
Been meaning to stop in and say hello. "HellOoooOooOOoOoo!" heehee

I'd definitely get up early to get to go get a camping trailer! Makes me miss the olde one we used to have. Some of my best times have been on camping trips!
Have a wonderful time... and enjoy every minute! I'm truly envious!
Lea
<*)))><

sailorcross said...

I'm not a camper--I've only been once, so I guess I could say that I've not given it a very fair chance!!

But, at least you are getting away, the Princess is happy to be going, and you don't have to take out a loan for the camper that you can use again and again!!

Yes, I would definitely miss the spa though.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Beth

Edie said...

4:00 am is way too early for me to get up. Sometimes I'm just going to bed. :)

Well make the most of your day even if it wasn't the way you planned. You never know, the change in plans may have been God's idea.

Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I was certain I left you a comment wishing you a great weekend... well, I don't know what happened there, but anyhoo, I hope you are having a wonderful time, even if your best laid plans went astray... Did your parcel arrive?

HisPrincess said...

Lightening, we didn't see any pink ones!

Beverly, WELCOME! Yay! I love it when new people come to visit! Not that I don't appreciate all my "old" visitors...not that I'm calling anyone "old". Hmmm. Shutting my mouth now!

Kelly, it wasn't so bad. Steph and I slept for the first 3 hours of the trip.

ADHD, its funny how I can suddenly become a morning person when there is shopping involved! Living 1.5 hours away from your nearest shopping centre means I get very excited about visiting the "big smoke"!

Lea, welcome! We are very excited about our first trip in our new camper!

Beth, you really should give camping a chance. It's wonderful.

Edie, I'm learning to accept changes to my plans and just roll with the punches. Sometimes I relapse and get all stressed but I'm learning!

Naomi, yes thanks, we had a lovely weekend. And no, the parcel hasn't arrived!