Friday, October 3, 2008

Dolly

Dolly is our pet sheep. It's obvious that Dolly is a sheep. The dogs know it, the other sheep know it, we know it. The only one who doesn't think Dolly is a sheep is Dolly. I'm not sure what she thinks she is, but it's certainly not a sheep.

Dolly was a twin lamb who's mother abandoned her so she came to live with us. We bottle fed her and she had her own special little pen just outside our house yard. The kids gave her fresh hay to sleep on and visited her after school with fresh grass. It wasn't long before she became too big for her pen so we let her wander about the yard.

This is when Dolly really started to make a nuisence of herself. We have an outdoor toilet (I know! Don't get me started on that!) and if anyone leaves the door open then Dolly is in there like a shot. She doesn't drink the water, or go in there for shelter, she's after the toilet paper. And she doesn't just have a nibble. She gets hold of the end and trails the paper all over the garden until the paper runs out. We thought this was really funny and cute, until she started doing it every single time someone left the door open. After several rolls of toilet paper it was decided that it was time for Dolly to spend some time with her own kind.

She disagreed.

She managed to get out of the paddock and back to our toilet again and again and again.

She wouldn't mix with the other sheep. If they came near her she would walk to the other side of the paddock.

So we've come to a compromise. She has a small paddock, near the house, with no other sheep in it. The kids still visit her with fresh grass, she still has a bed of hay to sleep on.

She is in the paddock next to the rams, and for the past three years has fallen pregnant at exactly the same time of year, so I'm figuring knows what they are for! She had twins last year, and did a great job of looking after them, and this year she is very big again so Kym thinks maybe she is having twins again.

I've written a children's book about Dolly but haven't gone any further with it than that. I'd love to get Stephanie to illustrate it for me and self publish it, but have no clue how to go about that. I will get around to it one day...

11 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

I love Dolly! She's so cute... I could kiss her adorable mouth and pinch her cheeks ~ oh yes, that's right - Dolly is a SHEEP! ;) I nearly forgot...

I love that you shared about her. I love the toilet paper story and could hear it again and again and again. Maybe you could post a picture of her "in action" some time... :) Have you thought of just moving the toilet paper to a higher location that she can't reach (and retrain the humans) ~ not sure which one may be easier though - you'd think they could learn to CLOSE THE DOOR!

So much to do today still, but you've made my day. I'll think of you and dear, sweet, adorable Dolly ~ how I'd love to meet you both in 'person'... :)

You have to take a picture and post it when her lambs are born ~ I just HAVE to see them!

Joanie said...

Giggling with delight! Dolly is 'visiting' my place... Come see! :)

Joanie said...

And, I'd love to read your children's storybook when you get it illustrated and published! :)

Carol said...

SHEEP!!!!! You know how much I love sheep. You have GOT to get that book published. Look into Winepress. I think they are a self publisher. I would so buy the book - multiple copies!! I love it! :)

HisPrincess said...

Joanie: I will definately take some photos once she has had her lambs. I'm coming over now to visit and see Dolly visiting your place.

Carol: I will look into Winepress and see what I can find. thanks for the tip! If I get it published I will hold you to your promise!

sailorcross said...

Oh!! You have made my day with that picture of Dolly!! And your TP story--love that too!! She is just adorable--sheep and cows--they are the cutest animals!

I once had a cat that loved the TP, too. We would come home and it would be from one end of the house to the other--why?? Who knows what goes through their heads--


I can't wait to see pictures of the little lambs!!



Beth

Kelly said...

Hello Dolly, well hello Dolly, it's so nice to have you back where you belong.

Too cute! But are you saying you have an outhouse...a real outhouse, as in not an in house bathroom?

I think you're book would be a hit too. Good luck

My ADHD Me said...

I think Dolly may be related to my dog Sidney. She eats toilet paper too.

(CK stole my song I was going to sing....serves me right for taking so long to check your post!)

Edie said...

Hi Sharon! How cute Dolly is, I just love her! I love her playful personality too ... as long as I'm not the one cleaning up the mess. :)

Hey you changed your blog! I like it and your new profile picture too, but what happend to your sweet cat?

HisPrincess said...

Yes Kelly we have an outhouse, and no in house. I was horrified when we were first married and vowed that the first thing I would do was build one inside, but other priorities took over and we are all just used to it now. And on the positive side no smell and I have a view of an orange tree!

ADHD: I just knew one of you were going to come out with that song!

Edie: I like to change my blog now and then...as for my "sweet" cat...we have been away for the weekend andhe is refusing to speak to me! That's why I love cats, such individuals!

Jenny said...

She is cute! Lauren loves sheep and we call her lammy lou as a nickname!