Monday, October 6, 2008

Family Weekend

This weekend was a long weekend for most states of Australia. We travelled about 300km to go to Kym's Aunt Lorraine's wedding. Lorraine has for a long time been Kym's favourite Aunt, she is only 5 years older than him so they grew up together in a way. Lorraine lives in a beautiful part of the state in a little town called Laura. It was a lovely, casual wedding held in her back yard with a small reception to follow. It was a great opportunity to catch up with family members we hadn't seen in a long time, some hadn't even met our children so it was a family gathering long overdue.

Above is a photo of the four of us...Scott isn't really that tall! He's standing on the tree trunk behind us. Here is a photo of Lorraine and Martin taking their wedding vows. It was a really lovely ceremony which included a short, uplifting and meaningful sermon.
Here is Stephanie with her "little" brother. He's still taller than her even though she is wearing heels!
And here are Kym and I enjoying our meal at the reception. The reception was also held in Lorraine's back yard in an old wooden shed which they had renovated and decorated beautifully.

Here is a photo of the road home which includes one of those beautiful big gum trees I told you about!
I forgot to mention that if you look reeeeaaally closely at the photo of the tree you can see Scott standing at the base. The fact that he's wearing a black shirt isn't very helpful in this instance but you can see him! Gives you an idea of how big the tree is.
Lord, thankyou so much for such a blessed weekend. We really enjoyed our time with just the family. Thank you for our safe travel there and home again and thank you for the precious time we got to spend together with our immediate and extended family.

15 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of your family, Sharon and I LOVE the gum tree. I will have to go find Laura on a map.

sailorcross said...

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time with your family!

I really enjoyed looking at the pictures--both of your family and the landscapes--all are just beautiful!!

Beth

Kelly said...

I loved the family photos! You family is so cute. What a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Edie said...

How beautiful! I love the family photos! Glad you had a great time and congratulations to the happy couple!

Joanie said...

Finally, a 'complete' family photo for your blog. What a beautiful family you are! :)

The pictures are delightful and I'm rejoicing with you that you were able to spend time with extended family members and enjoy a dear wedding celebration! A wonderful time for all of you to be away. (Boris will survivie and get over it...)

The gum tree is amazing! A bit of an 'elegant giant' to me...

Have a wonderful week!

HisPrincess said...

Wedndy: Laura is in the Southern Flinders Ranges, about 35km inland from Port Pirie, that should make it easier to find on the map!

Thankyou Beth, it was a lovely weekend and I'm so thankful.

Kelly I don't think anyone has ever called us "cute"!

Edie: thanks for your congratulations. I'm grateful that we had a nice time away, was a bit concerned about the teenager! She wasn't too keen on a family weekend!

Joanie: it took Boris a few hours but he is talking to me again! I have to get organised and use those photos for a scrapbooking page now. It's what Lorraine has requested from each of us for a wedding present. I think thats a great way to get a wedding album, and it will be from each of the guests perspective.

Joanie said...

Does Stephanie realize how 'beautiful' she is? Every time I look at the pictures, I see this absolutely beautiful young woman...

The whole family is quite 'handsome' actually ~ the picture would make a lovely Christmas card!

Joanie said...

Any rain lately? How are the crops doing? Is Kym holding up? And you?

Joanie said...

Oh my goodness! Just went back and looked at the tree photo again... I hadn't seen Scott the first or second time I looked at the pictures. Wow! The tree is absolutely majestic and towering and reminds of what an amazing Creator He is! :)

HisPrincess said...

Joanie: Stephanie thinks she is fat and ugly. Sigh. We are working on her self esteem and self image though. I will relay your comments! Every bit of positive affirmation helps.

We had a little rain last week and this week will be nice and cool. We will still get a much better crop than last year and we are thankful for that. It was difficult for Kym to drive through the area around Laura where the crops are taller than the fences and still lush and green. I offered to drive and blindfold him so he couldn't see! But he's doing ok. Accepted that he needs to be thankful for what he has, and for the fact that even though the finish has been disappointing this season will be far better than the previous three.

Anonymous said...

That's a great family photo... I love how your boy's being affectionate in a boy way to his Mama - sweet! I'm looking forward to the future when WE will have a family photo where all four of us are looking at the camera at the same time and none of us are pulling a face... Will you post about your scrapbooking page when you've done it? That's such a nice idea for a wedding gift.

My friend lives in Crystal Brook, which I believe is not far from Port Pirie - I must look at a map one day!!! From all that she's told me it is a delightful town. I'm hoping I can take a drive in the direction of SA one day very soon...The photo on your header - did you take that? It is breathtaking! And that Big Gum... what a doozy! The gum trees I'm among look piddly in comparison, but I'm not complaining... imagine that Big Daddy falling on your house, or dropping one of it's boughs??? Isn't it written somewhere, or maybe they're even referred to as this, I think coming from the early settlement days (??), but somewhere I remember hearing the Gums referred to as 'Widow Makers'... I took a walk in our yard with my newborn Sammy 3 years ago, looking up at the Gums, taking particular notice of our very biggest fella, counting the koalas, listening to the kookas, and thinking how beautiful can life get. I walked inside, put my sleeping baby in his bassinet, and as I walked away, I heard a loud crack, and then a whoosh and then a thud. I turned to look out the window and saw that a huge bough that I had been looking up at, no less than 5 minutes earlier, had crashed to the ground on the very spot I had stood holding my Tiny. It gives me goosies when I think about it!

(Forgive me, it's late, and I get 'chatty' when I'm over-tired...) Night night.

HisPrincess said...

Naomi: We used to have a huge gum tree in our back yard too, until it dropped a bough uncomfortably close to the house. We didn't chop the tree down, but we did have it pruned! Our church is surrounded by these magnificent trees which are pruned regularly, as they do have a habit of dropping a giant bough without warning.

Crystal Brook is quite close to Port Pirie, and only about 20km from Laura. If you come for a drive make sure you let me know!

Jenny said...

Looks like you all had a great time!

Jen

lightening said...

What lovely photo's. You all look so happy and relaxed. :)

And I love the scrapbooking page for a wedding gift idea.

So, which side of the family does this aunty fall on?

HisPrincess said...

Lorraine is Kym's Mums baby sister. She is only a few years older than Kym and his Mum looked after her when their Mum became really unwell with alzheimers so Kym has always felt really close to her.