Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Make Hay While the Sun Shines


Its hay season here in South Australia. These hay bales aren't ours, but they are the same kind. Ours aren't baled yet, they are still laying in the paddocks in rows of straw, waiting to be baled.
We rake these rows to dry them out and to keep them from being spoiled by moisture. Hay needs to be baled when it's dry, which is where that term came from. Make hay while the sun shines.
To me that phrase means take your opportunities when they arise. I've got another excerpt from the wonderful little book that Joanie sent me, that talks about this very thing.
No one wants to be shipwrecked.
But the reality is, it happens,
not only on the open sea,
but also in life.
The secret of victory at sea is what
we do ahead of time in calmer waters.
If your life is storm free, take advantage
of the peaceful lull.
Spend time in God's word.
Deepen your walk with Him through
prayer and personal worship.
Then, when the inevitable winds of adversity
begin to blow you'll be ready to respond in faith,
rather than fear.
In other words....make hay while the sun shines!

10 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

Awesome!! What is the name of that book? I think I'm going to have to invest in this one--such good words of practical, everyday living!!

And the picture of all the hay bales is absolutely beautiful. I don't know--there is something about this that just looks peaceful to me--like they are just waiting there in calmness.

Stop by The Power of Your Love. I'm starting a new series tomorrow regarding prayer. Maybe you'd be interested!

Have a wonderful day (or whatever time of day it is there--just let it be wonderful--it's 6:52 a.m. here, and I'd better go to work :(

Beth

HisPrincess said...

It's 10pm here and I'm about to go to bed!

The book is called Encouragement for Life, by Charles R. Swindoll. I thoroughly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I have to write that little piece out to add to all the other good things to read. Thanks for sharing it. Hope you're well... From one haymaker to the other... Naomi x

Sharon said...

Hello,
Sounds like a great book!! I love the picture, I love to see the beauty that the Lord has created for us.
I am new too your site, and truly enjoyed your writings and would to come back and read more.
Thank you for the encouraging words.
Be Blessed
Sharon

Kelly said...

What is funny to me, is here we have round hay bales. I've never seen square (rectangular) hay bales. Things really are different over there.

Loved the poem you included here.

My ADHD Me said...

There was a chapter in one of the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, with this same title.

Don't know why I thought of that but I did.

HHmmmm,,Plagiarism?

Joanie said...

Great post, Sharon! I love hearing about the farm ~ and would love to see pictures of the hay drying in the paddock (hint, hint) - though I know you're not home often (on the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again)...

Encouragement for Life is a wonderful book (though I have to purchase another copy for myself, as I gave mine away to a dear one in need) ~ thank you for sharing that passage. Good words to live by!

On the west coast of the United States, most farmers bale their hay as you do ~ though there are some that do round bales (and cover them with white covers - we call them "marshmallow fields - cause they look like giant marshmallows across lots of acres!). I know there is a reason for round bales, but I can't remember what...

Thanks for sharing! I've decided to name my new little friend - DOLLY - for if you visit my blog and compare their pictures - I swear there is a 'resemblence'! ;)

Edie said...

Great words of wisdom, of course Chuck Swindoll. I like your saying too, make hay while the sun shines! I will remember that.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is, you often can't actually bale the hay while the sun is shining. Hence a lot of baling is done during the night. It's obviously very fickle stuff. Needs the sun to cure it but once it's cured, you need a certain amount of moisture to bale it. Or something like that. All I know is, when we were baling contractors, I no longer had a husband during the night. Actually, I no longer had a husband. :( Since I couldn't handle baling season and then pretty much straight into harvest, we gave it away.

Joanie - round bales shed the water better and the balers are much cheaper (and less complicated) so it can be cheaper to bale. Square/rectangular bales fit in a shed SO much easier. And they're baled into "biscuits" which can be pulled from the bale in sections (I think that's right).

HisPrincess said...

Yes you are right Lightening. We prefer square bales for the simple reason that they are easy to stack and store.

Our hay is being baled right this minute as I type, but sorry joanie i'ts too dark to go take a photo. Like Lightening says, it's fickle stuff and needs to be baled under the right conditions!