Sunday, October 19, 2008

Step Away From The Vehicle!

Stephanie has purchased a car.


Not sure how I feel about that. Hmmm. I'm proud of her for saving for something she wants, and for working hard for it. I'm terrified of watching her drive away without me in the passenger seat. She has 6 months before she will be allowed to drive alone so I guess I can get used to that idea over time. Perhaps.
Anyway, enough of my paranoia. Here are some photos of the car which I have just had the pleasure of driving home. It drives really well on the open road but being used to a four wheel drive meant that in this little number I felt VERY close to the ground! And that made me feel like I was driving REALLY fast (which Stephanie reminded me repeatedly I wasn't, I was in fact going REALLY slow....I was not!)

So here he is. And yes it's a "he". His name is Chad, after Chad Michael Murray. For those who don't know Chad Michael Murray is one of the stars on the TV show One Tree Hill, and he's HOT! Actually, I have to admit, he's not too shabby! Anyway, this Chad is a 1999 Hyundai (which Stephanie calls High Undies) Excel. It has done 140,000 kilometres, has a CD player, spoiler, great big speakers in the back and an Ipod dock. All very important things to Stephanie.

Chad was her second choice. Her first choice was a little Suzuki something - or - other which had done 100,000 kilometres more, was ten years older and the air conditioning didn't work. But it had PINK pin stripes! Kym was astounded that she was prepared to buy a car solely because it looked "soooooo cute!". He has a lot to learn! He flatly refused to let her buy it and managed to stop her pouting by telling her that she was too important to him to put into a car that looked decidedly dodgy...even if it had a pink pin stripe and was sooooo cute!

This is Stephanie's car deoderiser. It smells like bubblegum, and it's pink, so of course she HAD to have it. She then proceeded to list everything she needs to "pimp her ride" (her words, not mine!). She wants hot pink seat covers (of course), pink steering wheel cover, mag wheels, and did you know that you can get a pink sparkly gear knob? There are so many sparkly pink car accessories, I never thought I would see my daughter getting so excited about being in a car accessory shop.

Of course, having just bought a car her funds were somewhat limited so she settled for her car deoderiser and this little sign below to hang in her back window.

Hmmmm. I'm a bit dubious about the accuracy of this sign! But of course, it's PINK so she had to have it. She would have preferred "Driven by a Princess" but that sign wasn't pink, so of course it just wouldn't do!

So think of me driving to work and back in the passenger seat of this little car with all the pink things dangling from it! Pray for our safety, my patience and my sanity!

12 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

I'll pray for her safety and your sanity.

FYI--Son't know if you remember, My JM totaled his car in August. We were finally able to replace it 2 1/2 weeks ago. He totaled that one yesterday. No injuries.
He wasn't being reckless.
he wasn't speeding.
It was raining.
he was probably following too closely.
And he probably had the radio up too high.
Mainly it was due to inexperience and bad judgement.
Our insurance before adding him approx $1,000 yr
Our insurance after his 1st accident $3,200
No idea what it will be now.

Anyway, just a cheerful little note to make you stress out more....sorry

HisPrincess said...

EEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

I did remember the August incident. You may have noticed I stole your blog title! And I accuse YOU of plagiarism! LOL!

So glad no one was hurt but what bad luck! Out here in the country our kids are injured by driving too fast on open roads, hitting trees and kangaroos. They don't generally follow other cars at all let alone too closely!

And I'm not stressing! What made you think I was stressing? Does it seem like I'm stressing? Do I sound stressed to you? No. Didn't think so!

sailorcross said...

Ahhh!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you having gone through this exact same scenario twice!! My third child lives in the city, uses public transportation and states she has no need of a car or a driver's license!!

She'll do fine--it's the mom's who usually worry themselves to distraction!!

Did you get your new camper?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh I can recall the feeling of owning my first car indeed and nothing else mattered too much really!
However there are so many girly car accessories now. My practical accessories were woolen car seat covers, a street directory, spare water and oil in boot and that jack which I never had to use! nothing pink or exciting like your gals but it was fun all the same.

Enjoy these last few months "sharing" her car!

Lynette

Anonymous said...

It's certainly a great achievement, Stephanie buying her own car. My prayer is that she keeps her wits about her and stays safe for her Mama and Daddy. Now, did you get your camper van???!

Kelly said...

I hope an angel truly is riding/driving with her! Teenagers need that. I'm sure my nephew's guardian angel is asking for a job transfer about now. LOL.

And not to laugh, but the part about hitting kangeroos - an impossiblity here. But here, we hit deer like that.

I hope she LOVES her new car, and stays safe.

Joanie said...

Delightful!

Kudos to Stephanie for working hard to save money to purchase her first car... and the pink accessories are cute, but definitely not my 'decor taste'. I had to laugh at the pink sign, as it appears the "angel" is in the picture if you look close enough! ;)

I'll pray for your sanity. Not sure what is worse ~ teaching your children to drive in a major city (and there are many who do not obey the rules-of-the-road or the law) or in the country where all seems quite 'safe'. I'll remind my kids to watch for kangaroos... (they'll think that is quite humorous)!

Did you find a camping trailer?

Edie said...

Congratulations to Stephanie on her new cute little car with lots of pink accessories! Will pray for her safety and your sanity.

I was taking pictures of kangaroos at the zoo yesterday. I can't imagine them just hopping around where they could get hit by cars. LOL. (But not Stephanie's car of course!)

My ADHD Me said...

Hi. The kangaroo part did make me chuckle. And yes, hitting a deer was one of JM's earlier "mishaps".
Be sure to check out my post tomorrow. It's titled PLEASE PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR.
(Hopefully you'll never need to borrow that title.)

And yes, JM's guardian angel should be getting paid overtime!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for all your posts and encouragement!

I tend to hit a least one kangaroo per year, and I HATE it. They are such beautiful animals. The last one I hit got up and hopped away after causing much damage but I wasn't cross with it, just glad it was ok. I'm a soft touch like that.

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that we did get our camper trailer. Will be picking it up in a couple of weeks.

Joanie said...

Oh dear... now I'll have to add "avoid hitting kangaroos" to my prayer list for you! ;)

But seriously, oh dear! That is a frightful thought indeed.

HisPrincess said...

Joanie, it just goes with the territory when you live in the country in Australia. Especially during drought times, they graze so close to the road. And have no road sense whatsoever. They panic and hop away, only to get confused and hop straight back in your path. Very unpredictable.