Thursday, October 2, 2008

Nothing to Say

What do you say when you have nothing to say?

I guess smart people would say nothing.....nah, no one ever accused me of being smart!

Maybe I will tell you about my weekend plans.

This weekend is a long weekend here in South Australia. We are off to a wedding in Laura, which is part of the Clare Valley wine region and at the southern end of the Flinders Ranges.

Above is a photo taken from the "lookout" at Laura, it is looking toward the ocean which you can't quite see but I thought the colours were pretty. The sheep that you can just barely see in the foreground are merino's, which is the same as the sheep we have on our farm. Beautiful wool growing sheep.


We have visited this area often as it's a nice detour on the way to Adelaide, much more scenic than taking the highway all the time. Kym's Aunt lives there (she's the one getting married) and it's an absolutely beautiful part of our state.



This is a photo of typical bushland in the southern Flinders Ranges. The area around Laura is mostly dryland farming, much the same as us here on Eyre Peninsula. The major difference being they have a more reliable rainfall. You don't have to travel far to the east to find the Clare and Barossa valley wine regions or to the beautiful Flinders Ranges in the north.

In case anyone is wondering, that grassy stuff in the foreground is called spinefex which should give you an idea how it feels! I'ts really spikey! When walking through the bush in this area you often find huge areas of spinifex grass completely flattened to make a bed for a herd of kangaroos. Can't imagine a worse place to sleep myself!

I'm looking forward to getting away for a few days, and maybe enjoying a spot of bushwalking. There are giant gum trees in this area and I find it so serene and relaxing to walk amounst them.

7 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

Beautiful picytures and a new blog look!! You have been busy!!

I love the spiky grass look, probably not the feel, but I love the way it looks. I would love to see a kangaroo bedded down in that--they really sleep on spiky grass? OUCH!!

Beth

HisPrincess said...

They flatten them down in a kind of circle and make a bed out of them, they don't actually sleep on the spikey bits!

Anonymous said...

Your blog looks fantastic! It has a real Australian feel to it - I like it!!! I hope you have a great time at the wedding this weekend and get to take a break and enjoy the scenery. And prayers for when your boss returns... Oh, and your profile pic looks gorgeous... where are you?...

Kelly said...

What a gorgeous view. Breath taking really. Thanks for sharing.

Joanie said...

It always delights my heart when you share about you, the family, your life and the area where you live (or take a holiday). Beautiful ~ in a very different way from where we live ~ but absolutely beautiful! I love the pictures and could tell the spinifex was not a plant I'd like to mess with...

Praying you all have a lovely, restful, refreshing, joyous long weekend together ~ not only celebrating Kym's aunt's wedding, but also the opportunity to 'get away' from every day life! I want to see a picture of the trees too. :) (I did notice the sheep in the picture ~ hmmm - maybe you should take a picture of your sheep at home or your 'family pet' if she's still around.)

Great profile pic - is this the one Scott took not too long ago? Another beautiful location and always great to see pictures that include you!

I love the new layout - need to do something with mine, but not sure what I want yet... Have a wonderful, blessed weekend dear friend! :)

P.S. Any rain yet? Still praying.

HisPrincess said...

Naomi: I am at Port Neill, which is the beach I have spent every summer at since I was around 10 years old. Kym's family have a beach shack there so we go often during the year also,it's only about 45km from home.

Kelly: There is something special about that part of the country. The colours are always just better for some reason. I've spent many Easters camped nearby!

Joanie: I'm praying for a wonderful weekend too! Princess Stephanie isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of a weekend away with the family so I'm hoping she doesn't do the teenage sulking "I'm too cool to be with my family" thing. I will certainly take a photo of Dolly (our pet sheep), she is quite pregnant at the moment, Kym thinks she might be having twins because she is so big. We have just cut the paddock that she lives in for hay so she is stalking us at the back gate at the moment! Waiting for someone to leave the gate open so she can monster my garden!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics. I camped one night at Lake Frome many years ago (on my way up to go the Birdsville Track) and would love to get back to SA