Monday, March 10, 2008

Melting!

This is all getting a bit much. Don't get me wrong. I love summer, it's my favourite time of year but heat waves are something else. It's nice to have a few hot days here and there but the forecast for us is for another full week of heatwave.

And to add insult to injury today the power went out! So that was enough for us. We packed up and headed to the beach. Had a great swim and enjoyed body surfing and jumping about in the waves. I got 'dumped' a couple of times and have a bit of a headache now, but most importantly I've cooled off and I'm in a slightly less grumpy frame of mind! We all go a little stir crazy when we all have to live together inside because it's too hot to go out. Ok. I admit that it's ME who goes more than a little stir crazy. A trip to the beach did wonders to restore harmony in the home!

It was a public holiday here in SA today and I have to say with the way the week is shaping up I will be glad to be at work! We have much more efficient air conditioning there than at home.

I do feel for DH and the shearers though. Shearing will go ahead this week as we can't put it off too long or they will start lambing. Shearing is hot and hard work at the best of times without adding a heatwave to the mix! So DH will be coming home every night exhausted, hot and grumpy which is something we all look forward to!

Dear Lord, I pray for some relief from the heat this week as we start shearing. I pray for the shearers, and all the workers in the shed that they can endure the heat without too much discomfort.

3 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

SHEARING???? Oh man!!! That would HAVE to SUCK in this weather!!!!

I was asleep today when the power went off. Woke up all hot and noticed the fan in the bedroom wasn't working. Great timing - NOT!!!

It won't be long and we'll be complaining about the cold weather. But right now I.AM.HOT. :)

Joanie said...

Oh dear... so sorry to hear that you're melting there ~ but what an incredible blessing to have the beach nearby and water to cool and refresh you!

I find it incredibly ironic that there is so much water around you, yet the drought in the land continues... Lord, please have mercy.

As for your headache ~ don't you keep your arnica tablets with you when you go on an outing? We always have it for 'just in case' ~ headache, muscle soreness or injury. Just a thought!

Lord God ~ please bless my dear friend and the surrounding community by lowering the temperature and providing nourishing rain for the soil and their souls... I pray the shearers have comfortable temps and a gentle breeze to keep them cool. How I pray for your mercy, grace and provision for these precious people. They need you. Thank you, Lord Jesus.

HisPrincess said...

Yesterday we broke the record. The longest heatwave in Adelaide. Ever. They are forecasting hight temps for the weekend to come which will be just great since we are heading over for Pink's singing lessons. I do not like the city when it's hot.

Joanie,yes we are blessed to be able to jump in the car and head to the beach. We had a great time. And no, I don't keep arnica with me. Must remember to put some in my handbag!