Sunday, March 2, 2008

Look what what we made!


Our very own tomato sauce from our very own home grown tomatoes! Ok. I'll be honest. I made the labels, and helped bottle them. Fisherman actually grew the tomatoes, chopped them, cooked them for five hours. I stirred it occasionally! We (ok, he) made nearly 11 litres of tomato sauce. I do love home made tomato sauce. We have already tested it out at dinner time, very tasty!
There is something really satisfying about making something from your own produce, I'm not sure what it is but it feels really good. How lucky am I to have a husband who can garden and cook? Pretty lucky I'm thinking. Well, I suppose he gardens all the time if you can call farming gardening!
I may not have helped with the growing or the cooking (much) or even cleaning up afterwards, but I made some awesome labels! Everyone has their talents!

7 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

How wonderful! Again, my heart is absolutely delighted with the life you and your family have been blessed to live... I do continue to pray that God will break the drought and pour forth blessings from heaven at just the right time. Homegrown and homemade food products are such a precious gift and always taste so much better than anything 'commercially prepared'.
I love seeing how God has given talents to each one in your family and together you have a complete package. You are so blessed!

lightening said...

You know the first thing I noticed when the photo loaded? The beautiful LABELS!!! I kid you not!

You're lucky really. Most farmers wives I've heard complain that their DH's spend so much time in the "big garden" they don't lift a finger in the house garden.

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Joanie. Yes we do seem to compliment each other pretty well!

Lightening thank you for your compliments on my labels! I did suggest that we could start a cottage industry where he could do all the work and I would make the labels! He didn't seem to keen for some reason! I am very blessed to have a husband who loves his garden, but you know his Mum, its hereditary!

Jenny said...

OK How about if we trade rootbeer for tomatoe sauce???

I have thought and thought of how to describe rootbeer, and nothing is there, nothing! I guess it is just a flavor. Here is the info from the wikpedia:
Root beer extract may contain a variety of flavors. Bark from the roots of the Sassafras tree was the typical flavor in root beer historically, and is the primary flavor most individuals associate with the beverage. Sassafras bark was banned by the FDA due to the carcinogenic properties of its constituent chemical safrole in 1960. A safrole-free variety is now used, with some claiming that it has a weaker flavor than the pre-1960 variety.

You sauce sounds wonderful though. We are suppose to get rain tomorrow and everytime I pray for rain here, I think of you too!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks so much Jenny for your rain prayers. As for root beer I guess I'm going to have to come over there and try it for myself! Although from the description it doesn't sound too appetising!

Jenny said...

It has a different taste, I have to be in the rootbeer mood. Although alot of people like rootbeer floats, rootbeer and ice cream.

I may have to go fix me one if we have any ice cream!

HisPrincess said...

Your mentioning of Sassafras gave me an idea so I googled it and guess what? We have root beer, we just call is Sarsaparilla. So now I know what you mean, and how it tastes, and yes you have to be in the right frame of mind. We also enjoy floats but we do it with anything, lemonade, coke, and we call them spiders. Don't ask me why, makes no sense but there it is!