Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Morning Stroll

I went for a bit of a walk this morning.

On a muddy road. In dress pants and high heels. For about 8 kilometres.

Let's go back to the beginning.

Our roads are wet at the moment (which of course I am NOT complaining about).

Wet, muddy roads can be a bit of a hazard, but I'm comfortable on the roads I drive on every day. I know where the slippery bits are, and drive accordingly.

This morning we had church at Arno Bay, which is about 30km from home. I was the worship leader so made sure I left in plenty of time so I had time to set up and get organised once I got there.

The road wasn't too bad, so I relaxed a little and probably wasn't being as cautious as I should have been. Before I knew it I had hit a big puddle (which stretched right across the road, so I couldn't go around it) a "little" too fast and in a split second I was amonst the trees on the side of the road.


I hopped out, assessed the damage which wasn't too bad (broken headlight, dented front fender, various scratches), hopped back in and proceeded to reverse back out onto the road.

The wheels started spinning, so I put the car in four wheel drive.

Still no luck.

What to do....here I am stuck on the side of a road that very few people use, with a FLAT mobile phone and people expecting me to lead them in worship in less than half an hour.

I tried to work out why the wheels were spinning and discovered that one of the back one's wasn't completely touching the ground, so I found some sticks and bits of branches (coincidentally there were plenty of broken branches lying around!) and jammed them under the offending wheel.

Still no luck.

So I decided I would walk...thinking that before I had gone too far someone from church would miss me and call Kym who knowing what time I left would come looking for me.

Well they took their time! They waited til I was almost a half hour late! I'm never late! By the time Kym came along I was almost home...tottering along in the mud in my shiny heels!!


So I'm hoping they managed ok without me at church. I feel really bad for leaving them in the lurch.

Dear Lord, thankyou for keeping me safe during my little mishap today. Thankyou for keeping the rain away until Kym had picked me up! Please help me to learn from this experience and treat our wet and muddy roads with a little more respect. Thankyou also for the wonderful rain we have had this week. Walking along the road today I couldn't help but appreciate the wonder of your creation all around me, and marvel at the beauty of it.

3 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Hmmm, and we were worrying about Stephanie out on the road with a new driver's license??? So glad you are ok. The car can be repaired.

That is just how it goes with sin too, isn't it. We get complacent and forget to be on our guard and BAM, Satan has us spinning out of control before we even know what hit us.

Joanie said...

Still wish you would have had your camera!

Truthfully ~ I am so thankful you are okay and a bit irritated that no one came looking for you sooner...

HisPrincess said...

Leah: that's a great analogy. One day when I grow up I want to be able to relate my everyday stories to the Bible just like you!

Joanie: Next time I go for a little drive in the bushes I will remember my camera! The roads were really treacherous this morning. One giant puddle so it took me an extra 15 minutes to get to work as I was driving VERY carefully!

But you know what that means! We've had MORE rain!