Monday, July 20, 2009

Ouch...

Oh the pain!

Just a quick warning...this post is going to be a whole lot of complaining so you have my permission to stop reading now!

On Saturday I played netball. This isn't unusual, I play netball most Saturdays, but this Saturday was different.

For those of you who don't know, I usually play in the goal ring, or on the wing. Stephanie is a centre. The centre is the person who runs. And runs. And runs some more. All they do is run.

We have a couple of girls who can play this position, as it's incredibly difficult to run out an entire game there.

On Saturday for the first time in two years we only had 7 players for 7 positions. This meant that Stephanie would have to play an entire game in centre, and she almost made it! She has been feeling a bit under the weather with a tummy bug for the past few days but seemed find on Saturday. Until the fourth quarter. She got head spins and felt really unwell.

No problem I thought. We can just put her in a position that doesn't run so much. I looked around me to see who I could swap her with. She can't play goals, or deep in defence because she is too short so I needed to swap her with one of the wings. Hmmmm. Oh dear. That would be me....

Waaaaaay back in the dark ages when I had two legs that worked I used to play centre. I loved it. It was my favourite position. But that was a long time (and about 10 kilograms) ago.

Surely I could manage a quarter. It's only 15 minutes!

There were sniggers from my "friends" on the sidelines as we changed position. There were comments about going to find the stretcher, or the defibrillator (this from a nurse!) and much snickering going on!

To cut a long story short, I did survive. But it was the LONGEST 15 minutes of my life! I thought I was going to DIE! And Stephanie had the cheek to point out that I was letting my player loose occasionally! RUDE!

We won the game by 10 goals and I was quite proud of my achievements in the end. I even got a the best player vote! Or a sympathy vote perhaps!

By 7pm I was struggling to walk, and getting up out of a chair was out of the question!

Today I'm still feeling quite a bit of pain in my "good" knee, and a normal amount of pain in my injured knee. I'm visiting the physio today (who was one of the sideline "sniggerers") to see if I'm doing any damage to my good knee. I'm worried that I'm putting too much pressure on it by favouring my bad leg too much, and it's going to be the next thing to go.

I only have about 5 games for the season. I'm hoping my body can hold it together for that long!

10 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

One of these days, you and I are going to get to the awful conclusion that we cannot do the things that we did when we were 25.

Well, maybe we will. I hope not. If you are like me, you hurt and you are sore and you wouldn't have traded those 15 min for anything!

Good for you!

HisPrincess said...

But we CAN still do the things we did when we were 25! I'm not in denial at all!

I am hurt, and sore, but I will be back for more!

Lightening said...

ROFLOL. Oh boy I WISH I was there to see that!!!!! I'm sure you did great though! :)

HisPrincess said...

Have just been to the physio, who also does acupuncture and had pins stuck all up and down my leg...feels much better now! Ready to fight another day!

Leah Adams said...

Well, you are braver than I. I learned about the time I turned 40 or 41 (4 or 5 years ago) that this body just would not do what it did 20 years ago. Take some aspirin or ibuprofen for the soreness. That should help a lot.

Leah

Joanie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And, you think I'm crazy with everything I do?! I'm not active in sports, as you are (and with a bad knee).

I'm proud of you! Way to go! You showed you could do it (but I think it would be to your advantage not to do it too often). Good thing you have Melissa! Better watch out or she'll raise her fees for when you come in! ;)

So, my usual question? Did you take Arnica after the match?

Did you ice your knee down after forcing it to work harder than normal?

Glad you're feeling better and can hardly wait to hear next week's report on the game... :) I better can busy exercising or you'll be way SKINNIER than me in no time!

HisPrincess said...

Leah: It's so annoying that the body won't do what it's told! Because the brain is much more focused!

Joanie: No, I was a bad girl. Didn't ice it or take arnica (out of it at the moment, don't have a health shop nearby). But Melissa's needles have done wonders. Feel like a new woman this morning! Or at least a woman who can get out of a chair which is a good start!

Rebecca said...

Is this your first experience with acupuncture? You sound like a pro - athletically & recovery-wise, too. Take care, lady! Save a little of yourself for the next 50 years!

HisPrincess said...

Rebecca, no it's not my first experience with acupuncture...it's something I rely on often!

Joanie said...

You are SO RIGHT! Look who is telling who what she should do... :P

Our personalities are quite similar ~ just played out in different ways in our lives!

And, I thank God for you daily! =D