Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Objections

As most of you are aware, I am married to a man who won't come to church.

This has been something an object of frustration for me for many many years.

Last night Kym said to me that he really enjoys the company and gets along really well with all the people at our church. All of our friends are members of our church. He has known many of them all his life.

He just doesn't like church.

I pointed out that church has changed a lot since he was forced to sit in the pews for 18 years. We are a much more relaxed bunch now, and he said himself that he enjoys the company of everyone there.

He doesn't sing. When we all stand to sing he feels out of place.

I said that when I am worship leading I notice that quite a few of the men don't sing. It's not compulsory. You can still listen, hear the message and worship without singing.

He said he has never sat in that church and felt comfortable. He's never considered it a place where he wants to be. He never once in all the 18 years that he went to church every Sunday thought that "this is a good thing, I want to be here".

I commented again that church has changed since he was there.

While I don't think that this means Kym will be coming to church with me in the near future, the fact that he is willing to discuss it is a giant step forward, and fills me with hope.

Lord, thankyou that Kym feels he wants to talk to me about attending church. I pray that you will give me the right things to say in future discussions of this nature. This is the first time we've really talked about attending church without it turning into an argument and I thank you for that. Please continue to soften Kym's heart and help him to open it up to you.

9 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

Praise the Lord! That is great that you could have a real discussion. That is the first step. He just might come yet.

Great news.

Anonymous said...

Great news, Sharon!

Leah Adams said...

Seems the HOly Spirit is at work. Keep praying!! Wonderful news!!

Leah

Rebecca said...

Any chance that he would go to a DIFFERENT church with you or is it EVERY church that he is uncomfortable with? Guess the real issue isn't church attendance anyway, but a faith/grace relationship with the Savior of our souls -the Lord Jesus....The desire to be with the people of God usualy comes AFTER that relationship....

HisPrincess said...

Kelly: thanks for the encouragement.

Wendy: yes it is great, I'm focussing on keeping the lines of communication open now.

Leah: I will keep praying, thanks for your support!

Rebecca: Kym has often said he doesn't have a problem with God, just with church. He has been hurt by church people and sees a lot of them as hyprocrites.

Joanie said...

Woohoo! Doing a little happy dance here - though it's after midnight and I'm hot and sticky from the heat... This is great news!

Okay... I'm going to say it again. The problem is that Kym associates the "church" with being "religious". Until he learns that going to church is spending time worshipping God and the purpose for being there is God, he is likely to associate it as a religious place; wanting nothing to do with it (and that is a negative in his experience). My cousin's husband is going through the same thing. And, I do think it is very challenging that you attend the same church he attended growing up. Perhaps if you lived in a different place and attended a different church, Kym may be more receptive ~ BUT God is able to work in each person's life/heart no matter where they are!

I'll continue to pray with you regarding Kym and the family! So thankful God is a heart surgeon...

Way to go! Great listening and conversation with Kym! Keep being available to God, and for God, and you'll be amazed at all He will do!

Anonymous said...

God knows Kym's God-shaped hole needs filling, and how to fill it... in His time... in His time :) Be blessed by these lovely glimpses He's giving you to continue to trust Him in your Husband's 'walk' to the cross. In "A Purpose Driven Life" (pg 30) it's written: "People may refuse our love or reject our message, but they are defenseless against our prayers." And you are faithful in prayer... and we know He answers them, in His time. Bless your heart! Naomi xxx

Edie said...

Does Kym read the bible? Maybe you could suggest some worship time together in your home or bible study. Then as he drew nearer to God he would WANT to go to church because God would be drawing him. ??

Lord please speak to Kym's heart and draw Him nearer to you. Place in him a desire to attend church. In Jesus Name - Amen.

HisPrincess said...

Joanie you make a great point. Kym does see church as being "religious". I'm not sure how to combat that.

Naomi thanks for the encouragement. I'm so thankful that the Lord gives me these glimmers of hope to show me what he's up to. I just have to keep believing and keep praying.

Edie Kym is a farmer...he is very practical and reads only when it is absolutely necessary! He's one of those blokey blokes who only reads instructions at the last resort!