Monday, June 22, 2009

It's not fair.

You have my permission to stop reading now....this is going to be a bit of a rant.

When I left school in 1987 we were in the grips of recession. I remember being terrified of not being able to find a job. It consumed my every waking moment.

I was lucky, and was able to find a good job straight out of school, so my worry was unfounded. But the memory of that uncertainty and fear hasn't left me.

Since then times have been pretty good for our school leavers. Most kids leaving school have a choice of jobs, they have been able to select the field they want to go into without the "beggers can't be choosers" mentality that I and my classmates had.

Until now.

Right when MY kids are preparing to leave school and enter the workforce.

So now all that uncertainty, and worry, and stress is back.

It's just NOT. FAIR.

Why do I have to go through all this again?

At the moment thoughts of what career path to take are consuming Stephanie's every thought. She knows what she wants to do but she is afraid that there won't be a job for her once she finishes her studies. Stephanie is artistic. She loves makeup, cosmetics and the beauty industry. She loves colour and design and her dream is to become an interior decorator. And she would be so good at it. She has such an eye for colour and her attention to detail is fabulous.

She loves fashion, and design, as we saw in the beautiful gown she designed for herself for her debutante ball.

She is already selling herself short by coming up with compromises. She is telling herself that she needs to steer away from what she wants to do and think about what she feels is possible.

I did exactly the same thing. I found a good job and that was the end of chasing my dreams.

It breaks my heart to see her following in my footsteps, because she is afraid, because she lacks confidence in herself and because she is putting so many limitations on her own abilities.

The best thing I can do for her is pray. And this I will do. I didn't know the Lord when I was going through this struggle myself. I'm not sure that Stephanie beleives in the Lord either but she does have a Mum praying for her, which is more than I had.

Lord, help Stephanie to follow her dreams and reach her potential. Please show her the path that you have planned for her and help her have the courage to follow it. Please watch over her as she thinks about her future and help her to look to the future with courage and excitement rather than fear and trepadition. Help me guide her as you would like her guided. Help me speak words of wisdom and encouragement when I struggle to remain calm and patient. Give her some direction Lord, and show her that with You anything is possible.

6 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

I know, Sharon. It doesn't seem fair. I think the Lord allows us to go through these seasons again and again to remind us to trust ONLY in HIM. Not in the economy,not in our paychecks,not in our own resources, not in other people, but IN HIM.

It is a lesson that I think I will have to keep re-learning until the day I see Him face to face.

Leah

My ADHD Me said...

Stephanie....FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!

I doubt you will ever meet anyone who followed theirs and says they regret it. You WILL however find many many who regret that they didn't.

What's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't work out...you pick up the pieces and try again. BUT there will be no regrets.

I wanted to be a firefighter most of my life. I put it off for DECADES because i thought I couldn't do it. Then one day I walked into a fire station and did it...just like that. It is the most satisfying and fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life. I was 39 years old when I started.

My only regret about it...I waited too long.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!
Follow your goals!!!!
Follow your heart!!!!

BUT, most of all....Follow the Yellow Brick Road!
(opps, those darn monkeys)

Joanie said...

It's not fair, is it? According to human standards, it shouldn't be this way ~ but God never promised us it would be easy. He did promise to be with us!

Okay. That said. I still believe God gives us passions and desires and specific gifts for a reason... Yes, Stephanie will have to make her own choices ~ but I believe we can follow that path we feel called to and God will show us the way to go ~ whether it's in that exact "field" or the preparation/path is used in an entirely different way.

Keep praying. Thank you, Lord, for being with us in good times and challenging times! Thank you for your faithfulness in every situation...

HisPrincess said...

Would you believe she has now back flipped, and gone back to wanting to be a Naturopath. Which is what she decided on quite a while ago and then strayed from it.

Who knows what she will want to do tomorrow. Probably become an Afghani Camel Herder.

Lord, give me strength!

Joanie said...

Bursted into spontaneous laughter! Okay. Breathe. Catch your breath. Okay ~ now I can continue.

Does God care about the lilies of the field....? How much more does He care about you and your children and your husband????

Love you, dear friend! So thankful you have a BIG sense of humour...

HisPrincess said...

You have to keep a sense of humour! It's what keeps you from going completely insane!