Monday, June 29, 2009

Grace

I have a friend who I'm quite sure is in my life to repeatedly give me lessons on grace.

She frustrates me.

Sometimes she makes me really really angry.

But I still love her. Most of the time.

This weekend was a time when she really got me hot under the collar. It happened on Saturday. And I stewed over it for the rest of the day. Then I stewed over it all night. By the time it was time to go to church on Sunday I was all set to confront her. For those of you who don't know me that means I was really cross! I avoid confrontation like the plague! Hate it!

So, I get to church and Melissa, who was worship leading and playing the piano at once asked me if I could sing the songs for her.

Even though I was grumpy, I still said yes to that. Never pass up an opportunity to sing!

So there I am, standing up in church, singing worship songs. Looking straight at my friend who I was really really cross with. And do you know what? The anger and resentment just left me. It was completely lifted and I was able to forgive her once again.

She will annoy me again. Without even knowing she's done it. She is notorious for treading on people's toes, and I'm quite sure she has no clue that she has upset anyone. Even when someone tells her, she is so thick skinned it just doesn't compute.

But she is also one of the most loving, giving and genuine people I know. If you ever need help she is always the first one there. And when she stood facing me in church today, her face shining as she sang for the glory of the Lord I remembered that just like me she is the daughter of a King, and it's not my place to judge her. I just have to love her for her who she is and keep forgiving her. Even when she doesn't know she has upset me, and doesn't even realise that I'm forgiving her.

And that's really hard sometimes.

Makes me realise how lucky I am that I have the Lord who keeps forgiving me. Keeps showing me grace when I deserve the opposite.

4 valued opinions!:

Lightening said...

You know, I watched you out the front on Sunday and couldn't help but really thank God. You looked so comfortable, like you actually BELIEVED you belonged. Especially when there was the difficulty with the slides and you laughed and looked so relaxed about it. You know, that's what I want for you more than anything. To know and feel that you belong in God's family. To know and believe that He loves you completely, warts and all. And that you might find that in our church family (although, we're all only human unfortunately and mess things up at times).

Sending you {{{HUGS}}} and love and blessings. Oh, and you should know, you give a GREAT hug. I want MORE of those when I get back, okay?

Leah Adams said...

Pray for your friend and the Lord will work. I was (am maybe still am) one of those people who often hurt others without realizing it. My husband has worked with me over the years and the HOly Spirit has softened my heart and I think I am better about it. At least I am more aware of what I say and do.

isn't it great how the Lord just infuses forgiveness into our hearts?

Leah

Joanie said...

I love what you shared, Jodi! I am learning that more and more every week when I go to church... "Believing" I belong. I'm also learning that even in our "goodness", we are bad ~ we're not God (and never will be) and we'll never be a measure by which we can judge other's goodness or badness.

Sharon ~ I am SO PROUD of you! I've only known you for a few short, but wonderful months AND I'm watching God transform your life in amazing ways... You are growing by leaps and bounds, even if you don't know it! You've brought JOY to the end of my amazing day with God... Way to go!

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbors as yourself... We can't do it. We just can't do it, but with the Lord's help ~ He can enable us to do all things!

I love you, dear friend!

HisPrincess said...

Jodi: Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement. It means so much...and yes, it's always interesting leading a song you don't know! I was relying on Bron to tell me whether I should be looking for another verse or going to the chorus! We worked it out eventually! It's funny, but I am more relaxed out the front than I am in the pew. Don't know why, but I do feel at home there for some reason.

Leah: Thanks for sharing about yourself. It's nice to hear both sides of the story! I know that my friend doesn't intend to hurt anyone. Doesn't stop me from over reacting on occasion though!

Joanie: Sounds as though you have had a fabulous praise filled day! I'm so pleased to "hear" you sounding so happy and filled with joy!