Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dreaming

In the middle of the night last night I came up with what I want for my 40th birthday.

I am 40 this year, just before Christmas. I've been in denial about it for quite some time but now I've come up with something that will make me look forward to it.

I'm just not sure it's possible.

I would love our family to fly to Perth to spend Christmas with Kym's brother Brad, his wife Ainsley and their dear little girl Jessica. Jessica is 3 and we have already missed so much of seeing her grow up.

How Beautiful is this little girl? I'm only a little bit biased!


There are a few obstacles.

The cost: While not completely prohibitive, we would have to start saving yesterday.

Harvest: Shouldn't be an issue unless we have an absolute bumper year and it takes a really long time! Or, if we have lots of breakdowns (perish the thought), or rain (can't harvest wet grain).

Grandpa: Kym's Grandpa is 90. And while he is still pretty healthy we are starting to treasure special days with him more and more. Every Christmas with Grandpa is special, but we are starting to wonder if each one will be the last, and none of us want to miss that last Christmas.

Grandpa in January this year, on his 90th birthday. Surrounded by photos of his great grand children. A wonderul, giving, kind and very special Grandpa.


Beach Holiday: Kym and the kids can do both holidays but I can't. We traditionally spend most of January at Grandpa's shack at the beach. The kids love this time and would be horrified if we missed a year. It's not an expensive holiday as we don't pay accomodation and it's only a 40 minute drive from home. The issue is that if I take time off over Christmas to go to Perth, then I won't be able to have time off to spend at the shack. Last year I travelled back to work each day from the beach and that was Really. Hard.

But on the plus side, it would be wonderful to spend Christmas with members of our family we don't get to see very often. Not to mention spend it with a three year old! Teenagers don't exactly get excited about Santa anymore, and I really miss that!

My dear friend Kath lives not far from Perth, so I would be able to see her as well. Also Steph would be able to see her friends from when we lived over there.

I shall put it to the family and see what they think....

A note on the washing machine saga...still not repaired, hopefully next week. BUT last night I came home to find clean, folded laundry on my kitchen table....Kym took it down to his Mum's and she did our washing! My mother in law is one of those well meaning but always in the way type mother in laws. She has a heart of gold but drives me INSANE! But today she is my favourite person in the whole world...

5 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Let us know what they say.

I promise that 40 is really not bad. Didn't bother me a bit. I have not yet had a birthday that did bother me, to think of it. It is just another day. I survived turning 45 this week and it wasn't so bad either.

Have a blessed weekend!!

Leah

HisPrincess said...

30 didn't bother me, but for some reason 40 is.

A phase of my life is over, kids are almost grown, will be leaving home soon and then what?

Kelly said...

I thought that baby must have been an internet picture she is so cute! Wow! Beautiful!

I hope your 40th is great. I turned 40 in Mar 08. It wasn't bad. (41, not so great. LOL!)

Joanie said...

What a lovely idea! I didn't like turning 40, but 44 was great (this year)... Guess it took me a while to get used to being 40-something.

Thankful for your mum-in-law and helping you out with the piled up laundry. God provides at just the right time!

Praying He will give you provision and wisdom regarding your 40th birthday plans... :)

HisPrincess said...

Good news! The family are enthusiastic, so looks like it's all systems go!

No to just find some cheap flights and start SAVING!