Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pray or our neighbours

In our neighbouring state of Victoria they have been having a hellish few days. So far more than 170 people have been killed in this, Australia's worst ever, bushfire. Of course the two week long heat wave hasn't helped.

The thing that belies belief is that most of the fires were deliberately lit. And many were re-ignited after being brought under control.

So many people have lost their homes, their lives, their livestock and their pets.

There have been many harrowing stories already, and I'm sure there are more to come. These are good country people, in communities just like mine. Whole towns have been devastated by this fire.

A friend of mine has family in Victoria. They have been lucky. Their house, livestock and property have been saved. I thought I would share some photo's of what they have lived through in the past two days.

The photo above is the fire coming toward their property. The post on the left is their front gate. It was at this stage that they decided to stay and fight. A decision that I hope I never have to make. They were well prepared with a good water supply and generators to power their pumps.

I'm not sure I would be taking photos with the fire this close! But it's a great shot nonetheless.
And here is Elvis, the water bomber. We love Elvis here in Australia. We have had our fair share of horrific bushfires and Elvis always comes to the rescue. This was taken out of the kitchen window of the people who stayed to try and save their home.

And what's left. The fenceline in front of the white car is the border to the property, so this family was very very lucky.
Please pray for all who have lost homes, family members, friends. Pray for the donations and support (which has been amazing) to continue and to find it's way to the people who need it.

8 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

It certainly has been harrowing. I hope you never have to go through anything like that, and I'm so glad your friends managed to save their property and are ok themselves. My prayer is that God dumps a whole lot of rain over a good period of time - no floods, like the north are going through... - to cool things off and give everyone a good break. It has been unbearably hot and humid here; I could NOT imagine what people have had to cope with through the heatwave and the fires... horrendous. Thinking of you...

Leah Adams said...

How horrible!! I am so sorry that your country is enduring this. You and your nation will be in my prayers.

leah

Edie said...

I have been thinking of you as I've been hearing about this on the news. I'm glad you are safe.

My heart goes out to all those others who have lost family and property. Such devastation.

I'm appauled that people would do this kind of thing on purpose. I just can't fathom that kind of cruelty.

Joanie said...

Haven't been following the news lately (just haven't had the heart strength to read it), but peeked at it today and saw the news headline of fires in Australia and began to pray before even arriving here.

I agree, it is so unfathomable to think people would deliberately set these fires (which is often the case with headlines of California wildfires)... Praying for God's grace, protection and deliverance from this terrible devastation.

Praying for cooler temperatures, as well. Thinking of you often, my friend!

HisPrincess said...

The cool change is here, which has helped bring the majority of the fires under control.

They are still on alert because high temperatures are set to return this weekend.

In Adelaide yesterday there was a cricket match between Australia and New Zealand. The South Aust Cricket Association has donated all the proceeds to the bushfire victims and that along with donations gathered from the people at the cricket raised over 3 million dollars.

Here on Eyre Peninsula the fund raising is in full swing, as we know that a few years ago when it was us burning our neighbours in Victoria were very generous with their time and money. It's times like these when we all pull together that make me so proud of my country.

HisPrincess said...

...and lets not forget that at the other end of our country, in Naomi's state of Queensland people are enduring flooding.

Fires and floods...all we are missing are the plagues.

Anonymous said...

Been thinking of you every day and watching the news and hoping and praying that you were ok.
I can't believe how cruel some can be by starting these horrible fires.
I didn't realize that Australia was also having floods.
Your friends are very brave for staying and saving their property. God is good and was watching over them.

Joanies Mom

Laurie and Alan said...

Yes, we over here in Seattle WA have been praying for you and all of those effected by the fires.

I sure hope they find out who did this, I hear that there are 2 people of interest.