Thursday, February 26, 2009

I really don't like teenagers

Sometimes I just want my teenagers to go away.... and come back when they have turned into reasonable adults. But then I wonder if they would ever come back, because I'm not all that confident that they are capable of turning into reasonable adults.

Last night on the way home Steph was telling me about a girl at school (who I know quite well, and I know her parents also) who has been spreading rumours about her. My advice was to just let it go, you can't spend your entire life behaving like the girls on "Mean Girls", at some stage you have to get past this cat fighting stage, because it doesn't solve anything. Of course she went on to justify her behaviour, telling me all the reasons she should retaliate, and that she is of course right.

After listening for a while and trying to reason with her I'm afraid I lost my cool. What I meant to say was that getting involved in altercations with girls like this is not a good idea. Stephanie always loses. She is just not that good at being a "you know what" and in the end she is always the one who gets hurt. That's not quite how it came out. What I actually said was "Grow up and get over it, I'm sick and tired of this rubbish, you always lose, get hurt and then look to me to pick up the pieces"

That was yesterday afternoon. She still hasn't spoken to me.

My first instinct was to apologise, but having given it some thought I've decided not to. She knows I love her, but at some point she needs to start taking responsibilty for her decisions and not expect me to fix everything for her. And I really am sick of it. That's the first time I've ever pointed out to her how her behaviour effects me, and I think (well, to be honest, Kym pointed this out) it's about time she heard it.

The other teenager in my house has turned into a sullen, obnoxious, smelly beast. I do take some comfort in the feedback I'm getting from other people. His school bus driver stopped me in the street the other day to tell me what a lovely, polite young man he is. My first instinct was to check that we were talking about the same person! But it is nice to know that he is being pleasant in public, if not to his family.

In a few years they will be gone... and then I will blog complaining about that!

Dear Lord, please watch over Steph and Scott today. Please help Steph to move on from this stage in her life, to learn to settle disputes amicably without being so confrontational. Please help her to learn to forgive, and to not hold a grudge. Please watch over Scott while he is at school today. Help him to learn, listen and enjoy his studies. Also watch over Steph as she has her second day of work placement for her traineeship. Pray that she can forget about her issues and enjoy the day, and start taking those steps toward being a mature young woman.

4 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

First - Pray, Pray, Pray

My daughter was very *difficult* too. Keep showing your daughter that you love her but not wrong behavior. Show her what God's Word says about revenge.

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?" Matthew 5:44, 46

"Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord." Romans 12:19

Plant the seeds, pray and trust God grow the crop.

Leah Adams said...

Whew, girl. I'm glad I don't have kids to be honest. I think I would spend all my time either on my knees praying or beating them half to death!! LOL!!

I bet your two will turn out to be wonderful adults. It just takes some time for all of us.

Leah

Anonymous said...

Classic title!!! I was on the phone to my friend who lives not that far from you actually, and I said the very same thing to her, for many of the same reasons you said. It really is a difficult time in life, being a teenager, all the angst and confusion because they "know everything" but don't know how to handle anything much at all... Maybe what you've said to her will give her food for thought; like you said, she's secure in your love, but sometimes the truth hurts and then you actually get on with it. She will. We did. We all, in some way or another, muddle through, and cope, and muddle some more. Yay for God's grace, hah?!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Struggling to remember to pray, pray, pray. I'm a bit spasmodic which isn't intentional but typical of me when I really need the Lord's guidance.