Monday, February 9, 2009

Dress Shopping

On Saturday we went to Whyalla with a wonderful friend who is going to make Stephanie's Debutante Ball dress.

The idea was for Steph to try on lots of different styles to make sure that the dress she has designed will suit her. Of course everything suited her.

Saturday in Whyalla was 48 degrees. I kid you not. It was definately NOT formal dress trying on weather, but it was the only day we had free so we had to do it then.

After confirming that the style she thought she wanted was indeed the style she wanted we went to Spotlight for the pattern and fabric. I should have said patterns. It turns out to make the skirt that Steph wants Melissa is going to combine three different patterns and pretty much make the rest up. Melissa is amazing. We love Melissa! After working out what patterns were required we went to choose the fabric, which is the fun part. I'm so glad that debutante dresses are white. If we had to have chosen a colour it would have been just too hard. There were enough choices in white! The skirt of Stephanie's dress has an underlayer of lace so we had to choose that too.

Melissa decided to first make the dress out of calico so that she can work out all the pattern changes and not take any risks with cutting expensive fabric. I am in awe of her. This is so much work and she is so happy to do it for us. I'm pretty sure this is above and beyond the call of duty for the average God Parent!

I will take photos and keep you posted on the big dress making venture.

5 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

Can't wait to see the dress!

You are welcome to use the poem I posted...I didn't write it, just pulled it right off of the internet! Just give credit to the author, like I did, as it is copyrighted.

Joanie said...

Delightful! Elizabeth and I shared many a wonderful day together shopping for fabrics and patterns... Though she is the one who did the creating and sewing. I miss those days.

I shall look forward to seeing dress pictures and your beautiful Stephanie! Take pictures of her in the calico, as she'll be even happier with her 'real' dress...

Too hot for me there ~ but I'd welcome some warmer weather here. :o)

Leah Adams said...

Oh what fun!! Can't wait to see pictures. I haven't had an opportunity to wear a formal dress in years and years. Not much formal goes on in our area. I will thoroughly enjoy experiencing all this along with you and Stephanie!!

Leah

sailorcross said...

This sounds like so much fun!!

Make sure and take pictures of Steph, the dress in progress and the finished product!!

Debutante ball--WOW!!!

Beth

HisPrincess said...

I'm not sure that fun is the right word!

Poor Melissa has her work cut out for her. We didn't find a pattern close enough to Stephanie's design for Melissa's liking so she has been searching the internet and her brain for answers. The pattern we have isn't boned, but the layered skirt that Steph wants would be too heavy unless the bodice was boned...Melissa is still smiling and saying she loves a challenge...have I mentioned that she is an amazing friend?

She is working so hard to get the dress to be as close to the design that Stephanie has drawn. I'd be inclined to say "you can't have it, too hard, find something else". But I'm not as nice as Melissa. And just between you and me I'm thinking she is just a wee bit masochistic!