Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe...

You know the saying from Jaws...Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

We have had a relatively peaceful week with Princess Drama Queen Teenage Nightmare Stephanie. She spent the weekend being pleasant. She tidied her room. She spoke in whole sentences. She smiled.

I started to relax.

I started thinking that things were improving. That maybe she was starting to grow up.

No. It would appear not.

She has just come in from school. Quite happy. She has now gone off with some friends.

A customer of ours has just paid me a visit. He is a father of one of Steph's friends at school. He has just told me that Kasey (that's his daughter) told him that Steph has been suspended. WHAT?!?

Apparently today at lunch time, along with three other 16 year olds, she went into the drama room and painted clown faces on one of her friends. So now I'm a bit out of sorts. Part of me is thinking how dare she come in here and be all sweetness and light when she KNOWS that it's only a matter of time before I hear what she has been up to. And part of me is thinking what? is that all? that's hardly a suspendable offence I would have thought. I can remember doing much worse than that as a teenager and not getting suspended. Of course I didn't get caught either.

She even showed me a picture on her phone of Jess with a clown face painted on him. She just didn't tell me that she was in the drama room illegally!

Of course I haven't actually heard from the school yet. And if she is suspended you would think they would tell me. Who knows, they could have rang home and talked to Kym. I hope they have. Then he can deal with it.

Teenagers.

7 valued opinions!:

Lightening said...

Sounds like a lack of creativity to me. Surely there are better ways to impose consequences than giving students time off from school????

I'm starting to wonder about our school....

Anyway, hope you get it sorted and that the school has thought to let you know...

Leah Adams said...

Bless your heart, Sharon. It sounds like kids were just being kids, however, if they knew not to be in the drama room, then they should be punished, but suspension seems a bit severe to me too.

Praying for the Lord to lead you and strengthen you!

Leah

My ADHD Me said...

SO often you and I think and act alike.
Is it contageous? Are our children alike also.

JM was suspended last week too. His also was a prank...although not quite as sweet as a clown face (sigh). Although this time I knew before I saw him, there was another time when I didn't know until a day later and until then he had acted like nothing ever happened.

You've probably heard (or read) me say it before, but it definitely needs repeating....

"Mothers of Teenagers Can Understand Why Some Animals Eat Their Young"

Hang in There!!

My ADHD Me said...

ALSO, I agree with Lightening. I wonder when the schools will realize that In-School suspension is MUCH harsher for the student than Out-Of-School suspension. Even detention is harder if they make the kids work (ie...clean up the classrooms) instead of just sit at a desk and watch the clock.

HisPrincess said...

It would appear that I need to check my sources before I jump to conclusions...

Yesterday Stephanie did indeed go to the drama room and paint a clown face on a fellow student. She did not however get suspended for it. She didn't even get sent to the reflection room (which I'm thinking is a little like detention). She was (along with her friends) sent to the principal who told them he expected better of them and please don't do it again.

She thought it was hilarious that Kasey's Dad told me she was suspended. I must chat to him and find out where he got his story because according to Stephanie Kasey wasn't even at school yesterday.

So, I apologise to Stephanie for immediately thinking the worst. Although in my defence, going on past performance, you can hardly blame me!

Lightening said...

LOL. How bizarre! Not that I think being sent to our Principal is that much of a deterrent either. He's like a big puppy dog. :)

Joanie said...

Oh goodness... The DRAMA I've missed! :P