Sunday, April 19, 2009

EVERYTHING HURTS!!!

Yesterday was my first game of netball in three years.

Three years ago I retired after a (second) knee reconstruction that didn't quite work. My knee still hurts every day and I hate going up and down stairs. So, why would someone with a dodgy knee go back to the netball court you ask?

Because I LOVE the game! Always have, always will. I tried staying involved by umpiring and coaching but it just wasn't the same. Also Steph and I are playing in the same team and I thought it might be fun to play a year with her.

Yesterday was fun! Heaps of fun! I loved every minute I stood on the court. Of course the fact that we won helped too!

By the time we got home last night I was beginning to stiffen up, so I had a nice hot bath and went to bed.

This morning I can hardly move! My knee is sore, but that is situation normal. But also my arms are sore, my back, my butt (? who knew you used that to play netball??), my stomach muscles...everything!

One thing I discovered yesterday was that I need to practice my goals. Vertically challenged people like myself can not afford to be inacurate because I have precious little hope of getting a rebound.

But, the main thing is that I had a ball....bring on next week!

4 valued opinions!:

Kelly said...

Thing of all the calories you burned! I love that your butt hurts. Sorry - but that just cracks me up..."who knew you used your butt in netball?"

Joanie said...

Rejoicing with you, my friend! I can feel your excitement through my computer screen. The only thing better than your description would be if Kym or Scott had taken pictures for you to post! ;)

And, it made me laugh and laugh and laugh (though it's making my own sore muscles ache) to read your description of what "hurts". Wish my reason was as fun as yours!

So glad you decided to give it another go! Now, all your blogging friends will need to pray that you (and your knee) survive the season intact! ;)

Congrats on the first win!

HisPrincess said...

I got on the scales this morning and I've lost a kilogram!

Netball rocks!

My ADHD Me said...

Don't you just hate when our bodies don't keep up.
Sounds like you did great and if you keep it up your muscles will get used to it and be So Strong!

Hurray for YOU!!

P.S. BTW, Just wondering, is there a minimum wage there? I'm asking because the difference in the driver's license was so huge. Here in Virginia minimum wage is $6.55 per hour. (which is below poverty level). Most starting jobs (teenagers, McDonald's, Grocery Stores etc usually start around $8.00 hr)