Wednesday, April 22, 2009

AAAARRRRGH!!!!!

In a few weeks time this will be funny.

Maybe.

Last night Steph had a dress fitting. She didn't like it. But she didn't say so at the time because she doesn't want to hurt Melissa's feelings. She just waited til she got home and complained at length about how the bodice is too short, and the ruching makes her look chubby, and she is already the chubbiest girl in the deb ball.

*Sigh*

So this morning I had a chat to Melissa, very apologetically. She said that she could tell Steph wasn't happy by her body language and having slept on it she had already decided to make another bodice. The woman is incredible. She says it's fine. No problem. She made her mum make her bodice three times before she was happy with it.

Luckily we have lots of extra fabric.

The thing that bothers me the most is that she really does think she is fat. And there is nothing I can say to convince her otherwise. She is a size 8-10 (which I believe is 6-8 in the US). She is definately not fat.

Like Melissa said this morning, I'm so glad I'm not a teenager anymore, I'd forgotten how tough that gig is!

8 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Hmm, this recovering anorexic is not a good one to be giving advice on this topic. Sounds like she is a normal, healthy weight an size to me.

There is so much stinking pressure on women to be stick thin. That is how I got into so much trouble in my late teens and early 20's.

Bless your heart!!

Leah

Kelly said...

Well I'm 40 and still have body issues! Do we every get over that one? I also have a 9 yr old who says she is fat. I HATE THE MEDIA! They are the ones that show are these size 0 women and convince us that THAT is what is normal.

I've seen photos of your daughter and she is perfect. I hope she gets the dress just as she wants it.

Kelly said...

Actually, I'm 41...but who's counting?

HisPrincess said...

Leah you are exactly the right person to be giving advice on this topic! It's not just the media, but it's school as well for Steph. Her peers are all sporty, thin and muscle bound. She feels soft and flabby in comparison but sport just isn't her thing. And that's tough in the country where our social lives revolve around sport on the weekend.

Kelly I am certainly not counting! I have tried telling Steph how gorgeous she is but she doesn't want to hear it. She sees nothing but the negatives. Sigh. She weighs 50kg for goodness sake.

I'd do anything to weight 50kg. Anything other than diet and exercise of course! ;)

Joanie said...

Oh dear... Oh dear... Your darling Stephanie is not fat ~ she's just as God created her to be! And a beautiful young woman, she is.

Thankful the dress can be reworked to her satisfaction (let's hope so anyway). I think the family should bless you, patient and devoted Mum, to a spa weekend after the ball is over! :)

Lightening said...

Oh dear. This cracked me up in a "thank God it's not me" kind of way. ;) Does that make me a REALLY bad friend???? It reminds me of my wedding dress my mother INSISTED on making. I really didn't want her to because I feared a)she wouldn't finish it (cos she's good at not finishing stuff) or b)I'd hate it and wouldn't be able to tell her.

What struck me was that she didn't say anything because she didn't want to hurt her feelings.

As for the weight thing, it's so hard. I was CONVINCED I was fat as a teenager and now I WISH I'd appreciated my shape more. *sigh* But no one can tell you when you're that age. I guess all you can do is keeping loving her and praying for her and watching that she doesn't start down the path of unhealthy eating patterns.

I'm SO glad I'm not a teenager anymore too. I'm not going back there for ANYTHING. Problem is, not sure I want to parent them either. Should have thought of that a few years back I guess....

My ADHD Me said...

Oh my. I have seen her pics and she is DEFINITELY NOT FAT!!

6-10 is tiny (in our sizes) and actually 8-10 is too.

Yes, the models with fitness trainers, gourmet special chefs, airbrushing and cocaine habits are tinier....and also ending up dead or in prison.

(I don't think body image thing ever goes away for some of us. BUT, you keep doing what you are doing and she will probably be just fine. My mom told me I was fat the whole time I was growing up. I've looked at the pics and I really wasn't. SO, keep up the encouragement.

Thanks for the info. My curiosity has been sated!

HisPrincess said...

Tomorrow we have fittings with the new bodice.

Praying that she likes it....or I may not be responsible for my actions!