Thursday, March 26, 2009

Where did she go?


The little princess on the right is my daughter Stephanie. She was almost three years old and a flower girl in Kym's sisters wedding.

I look at photos like this and I feel sad. Where did this sweet little girl go? Sometimes I get disheartened and think that she will never grow into the wonderful person she could. Sometimes I think this obnoxious teenager is here to stay and I forget the fragile little person inside her.

Of course she isn't obnoxious all the time.... sometimes it just feels that way. She can be so much fun, such wonderful company. Sometimes she shows such maturity and concerns for others that it takes me by surprise....and then out comes the monster again. The one who demands, complains and pouts, who is rude, uncaring and disrespectful.

When she behaves like this it takes all my self control to stop myself from snapping, from biting back, from hurting her in the same way that she hurts me. It's hard being the adult sometimes. And sometimes I fail.

I have to keep remembering that the sweet innocent little girl is still in there. She is taken hostage at times but she is still there. And she is still vulnerable. And she still needs her Mum.


Lord, I pray that Stephanie will reach her full potential. That she can use her gifts for your glory and that she will grow strong in your love.

8 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

She is adorable (and I mean is not just "was" :)). Even if she does decide to take her jacket off wearing a netball bib. LOL.

My ADHD Me said...

TEENAGERS-Why Some Animals Eat Their Young!

Leah Adams said...

She will be back. It's just those horrible teen years. She is a beautiful young woman.

Kelly said...

Aww - how sweet. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Just keep the faith. Things will get better. Just pray alot. I always told Joanie "what goes around, comes around" and it did.
Stephanie knows you love her, it's those teen-age hormones. It will get better, but it just might take a while. We will all pray for your strength to get through it all.

Joanies Mom

HisPrincess said...

Lightening - you have the gift of always seeing the good in people!

My ADHD - I think the teenagers are Gods way of ensuring we don't suffer to much when they want to leave!

Leah - She CAN be a beautiful young woman when she wants to be - that's what is so frustrating!

Kelly - hmmmm...sweet is probably the last thing I think of when I think of Steph at the moment!

Joanies Mum - what goes around comes around hey. I was afraid of that! That means Iam getting exactly what I deserve! LOL! Say hi to Joanie for me, I miss her.

Joanie said...

I MISS YOU TOO!

Just had to stop by before I head to bed... Mom told me things still weren't well with Stephanie and you (same here still too), so I wanted to leave you a quick comment and let you know I'm continuing to pray (for both of us or should I say all of us) and trusting God can and will work all things out. Sorry ~ no time to e-mail today, as I really need to head to bed...

And, next week is Easter and my Lent time is over and I shall celebrate my return to "connected to the world and my dear friends" once again!

I love you dear friend and I'm sending hugs your direction (express mail, of course!) Talk wtih you in a week on a regular basis! Oh, how I SO miss you!

HisPrincess said...

Hi Joanie!

Lovely to hear from you! I sent you an email today telling you how things have improved...it would seem that I spoke too soon. Sigh.