Monday, March 23, 2009

Return to the netball court.

I love netball. I love feeling part of a team. When I'm on the court time just flies, I enjoy every minute. Well, almost every minute.

I haven't played netball in two years. Four years ago I had a full knee reconstruction (my second one on that leg). It took a year to recover from that and then I was back on the court. But it wasn't the same. My knee didn't feel stable at. all. I didn't give my best because I was fearful of hurting it again, my memory of what that feels like was too recent and vivid. So after that season I decided to call it quits.

In the two years since I have coached and umpired. I've still enjoyed being a part of our club, I've even coached a team to a premiership. But it's not the same as being an actual member of the team.

So this year I've decided to give it another go.

I had my first training last Thursday. It went pretty well. I had forgotten my knee brace so I took it fairly easy. I managed to play a game without hurting myself (always a bonus!). I felt pretty good afterward.

And the next day my knee was a littel sore, which I expected. The rest of my body was a little sore, also to be expected.

Then came Saturday. I woke up and EVERY single muscle in my body ached. It hurt to sneeze. It hurt to breathe. I started to wonder at the wisdom of making a return to this game when I'll be turning 40 this year. *shudder* enough said about that!

Yesterday and today my knee has been misbehaving. I'm not amused. Just now when I was carrying my cuppa back to my desk it almost completely gave out. I was only walking! I could have spilled my coffee! The horror!

So, I'm thinking it's time to pay my dear friend Melissa a visit. She is a physio (I know, she sews debutante dresses, plays piano beautifully AND she is a physio...is there nothing the woman can't do?). Of course if she tells me not to play netball I will be left with only one choice. To ignore her.

Squash tonight. We shall see how the old knee holds up to that.

4 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Sister wait till you are 45!! It only gets worse I'm afraid to tell you.

Leah

Anonymous said...

She'll be right - next time you'll remember your knee brace (or at least think to check the car ;) ) and all will be well. 40 is only young yeah? I'm thinking I want to play for at least 10 years (I'm sure it'll be that long before I don't get completely confused out on the court lol).

Oh, speaking of hurting - today I did some of those same exercises we did Thursday night, only with a medicine ball! OW!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope your knee will be healed. After my massages and prayer for my back, I totally believe for you that you'll be bounding around that court! I'm glad you are getting positive glimpses of your Man's 'walk', and I'll be praying for you both with this. I must see this movie!!! nighty night;)

HisPrincess said...

I dunno, 40 feels pretty old to me at the moment!

Thanks for you prayers Naomi, and I know that God can do anything...but bounding around the court? LOL!